Beachside Beauty Essentials!

9 January 2014


So, it's kinda ironic how I'm writing this blog post while it's so gloomy outside, but it is still summer and I'm sure as soon as the sun is back, you'll hit the beach! Which is why I'm here to help you on what to take to the beach before you come back with peeling skin and a red nose (I've been there, not pretty believe me). So here are my beach side beauty essentials!


Sunscreen: Unless you want wrinkles, sun spots, sunburn and oh yeah, skin cancer, then skip this step, but if you want to prevent pruning up before you're 30 then make sure you pack sunscreen. This is so important, not only will it stop sunburn but it will also make sure you don't look like Yzma (look below if you don't know who I'm talking about). I love the Le Tan Coconut Lotion, but there are so many options out there, now they also sell sunscreens containing SPF 50, so you have no excuse! This sunscreen smells of coconuts and just sinks into the skin without making you look like an oil slick, plus it doesn't make me break out and doesn't clog my pores! Hooray!

This will be you if you don't apply sunscreen. Photo from groovellama.tripod.com.

Aloe Vera: This next product is to really cool your skin down while you're sunbathing straight underneath the sun. If you do happen to get a sunburn or your skin feels like death, then just slather some Aloe Vera gel on and it helps the healing process move quicker! I have the Palmer's Aloe Vera Gel, but to be completely honest, I'm not the biggest fan. For some reason, this really stings when you apply it which I've never experienced with other Aloe Vera gels. My favourite is the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel, which is much more gentle on the skin and really makes you feel refreshed after a day out in the heat.

Lip Balm: Yes, your poor lips can suffer from the sun as well. That's why it's important to make sure you also have SPF in your lip balm. My favourite, as you probably already know, is the Nivea Repair & Protection lip balm. This is just a basic lip balm with no colour, but since it contains sun protection it is going to do just what it says, protect your lips from the sun! Oh and it helps moisturise them and keep them soft and supple.

Deodorant: No one wants to be around someone who is the Niagara falls of perspiration (gross right? Exactly my point), which is why you need deodorant. I really like the Dove Clinical Protection, which when applied, stops the sweat coming through for a good while (they say 48 hours, I say more like 12 hours). This particular one smells very fresh and the formula is like a creamy gel so it isn't a roll on or a spray. The nifty packaging allows you to twist the dial at the bottom which releases the product, but don't be like me and twist the dial 25 times because the product wasn't coming out, you only need about 2 twists and you're good to go!

Hand Sanitiser: Did you know that if you don't wash your hands before eating then tape worms can form in your stomach? That might not be correct, I'm a beauty blogger not a biologist but you get the point. Clean hands are important, and soap and water isn't always available at the right time, which is why you should keep hand sanitiser with you (even though, if you're playing with sand then I do suggest you use soap and water). Before you eat, or put your hands anywhere near your face, just apply a little bit of hand sanitiser and it will show those pesky germs and microbes who's boss! The one I usually use is the Dettol Healthy Touch instant hand sanitiser in soothe, it really makes my hands feel fresh and clean when I use this, and it smells nice too!

Thermal Spray: This is optional, but if you're someone who suffers from redness or just wants something that can really cool you down quickly, then I suggest a thermal spray. Before I used this I thought it was a gimmick, I mean, it's just water in a can right? Well this water in a can is excellent if your face is really heating up or receiving a little too much exposure to the sun. It comes in a spray can and instantly refreshes your skin after two sprays. Not only does it calm your skin down, it also helps reduce redness, eczema, and sunburn. I love the Avene Thermal Spring Water, which comes in many sizes, but the 50mL can is perfect for on the go and travel. For better results, pop it in the fridge and just before you leave for the beach pack it in your bag, it will feel nice and cold against your overheated skin!

Hair Texturiser: Again, optional. You know how those girls on Tumblr always have those perfect beachy waves, but when you try it you end up having a birds nest residing on your head? Yeah, I feel you. The Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion will give you extra volume and helps define those glorious natural waves that are in your hair. It smells lovely, and is a powder to liquid formula. Simply apply a TINY amount to your roots and really shake it in your hair and it will give you Bridget Bardot volume in no time! It's expensive, so you don't necessarily have to buy this exact product as I'm sure many products from the drugstore work great as well.

So that's it! Along with a floppy hat, sunglasses and plenty of water, you are now ready to go the beach! What are your beach side beauty essentials, and how do you recover from a terrible sunburn? Let me know in the comments below!


Leave a Comment

  1. I ALWAYS have hand sanitiser in my bag!!! I can't live without it ^_^
    Especially good if I have greasy hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It makes my hands feel so nice and smooth, plus it's so important for personal hygiene!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I always just say "i'll be fine" when heading to the beach. Then come home regretting that I didn't take the proper precautions!!
    I use Aloe Vera to help recover from sunburn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you're not the only one! I'm like that too, I guess we all can be a bit careless sometimes ;) Aloe Vera is a lifesaver, cannot live without it!

      Delete
  3. You make the Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion sound amazing! I'm always envious of the perfect beach hair them girls on tumblr seem to have and this sounds like the answer to it all!
    Great post :D
    ♥ M&L
    Enter our Bloggiversary Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great! I get what you mean, so envious of all that volume and texture but I guess we need to fake it till we make it haha!

      Delete
  4. Hi Basmah! Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.

    I love that you included a picture of Yzma to illustrate the effects of sun damage. If that isn't a deterrent, I don't know what is.
    I made a mental list of some of this stuff to go pick up tomorrow, then realised i'm in the UK and it's the middle of winter. So envious of the Aussie sun haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Well if it makes you feel better, I'm more of a winter person so we should trade places!

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.