Best Beauty Products of 2013!

3 January 2014


First post of the year! Hope you're all having a great year so far. Today I'm going to be talking about the best beauty products of 2013 (in my humble opinion), these posts are what I look forward to the most at the start of the year, because who doesn't want to go out and spend all their pretty pennies on products that actually work? Warning you now, that this post will be a looooong one. So grab yourself a cup of coffee, or chocolate in my case (healthy in 2014? That resolution is gone out the window) and read on!


The Face

Primer: Benefit The POREfessional. Hands down the BEST pore filling primer I have ever used. If you're an oily skin gal like me and have pores the size of craters (no exaggeration here) on your face then definitely check this out! It is on the pricier side but a little goes a long long way. This really helps your makeup stay put throughout the day and keeps the oiliness at bay. If you're a olive skinned girl like me, or are a woman of colour then you will be pleased to know that this primer doesn't leave a horrible white cast over your face like some primers tend to do (Shiseido anyone?).

Foundation: Estee Lauder Double Wear. So back in March, I was looking for a foundation that gives me great coverage and lasts all day, so researching on the world wide web as you usually do, I stumbled upon this beauty. This foundation is great for girls with, hate to sound like a broken record, oily skin. It will withstand ANYTHING, heat, water, hurricanes, you name it. If you're a dry skin girl, then steer clear from this foundation because it will look cakey! The key to applying this foundation is using small amounts and really buffing it into the skin, I like to use the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.

Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me. Great coverage? Check. Affordable? Check. Doesn't crease (too much)? Check. What more can you want!? Not only is this concealer affordable, it does everything a concealer should do. I have horrendous dark circles that makes me look like a character from the Walking Dead, but this darling covers it right up and makes me look human again. But beware, use too much of this and it tends to crease underneath the eyes, so use smalls amounts, less is more remember!

Powder: Revlon Photo Ready. Another drugstore product! The proof is in the pudding, as you can see I've hit pan on this powder, so it must be great. I actually discovered this product from my Revlon loving mother, who claims this as her holy grail, and I can see why! This powder leaves a beautiful natural finish on the skin and serves as a great setting powder. I like to dust this along the t-zone area (nose, forehead, chin, you know the drill) and it keeps me looking matte throughout the day.

Blushes


Avon Face Pearls: Unfortunately I don't know the shade name because it isn't written anywhere on the packaging! But regardless, this is my favourite shimmery blush for when I want to look natural but glowing on those no-makeup makeup days. It contains two shades of balls (get your mind out of the gutter!), a light pink and a darker pink. Together they look beautiful on the skin, and it doesn't make you look like a disco ball. It has just the right amount of shimmer and is my favourite blush for the warmer months.

Illamasqua Blush "Thrust": Holy cow is this blush pigmented! I actually received this blush while interning at Beautyheaven, and was terrified to use it because of its bright purple colour. But one day I plucked up the courage, put my big girl pants on and applied this to my face, and boy am I glad I did! This blush is completely matte, and you honestly LIGHTLY tap the brush twice and that is all you need, anymore then that and you'll end up looking like a clown. This applies more of a dark pink then a purple and would look great on every skin tone.

Bronzer/Highlighter

Benefit Hoola Bronzer: Yes, this incredibly talked about bronzer is really worth the hype. It has very little shimmer in it, barely noticeable and is wonderful for contouring the face, which if you have cheeks that weigh 10 kg like I do, will come very useful! It isn't orange at all and will suit skin tones ranging from pale to olive (for MAC reference, NC15 - NC40), it isn't too dark which is why it probably won't show up very well on those who's skin tones are in the darker range. Not only is it great for contouring, it's also great for giving your skin a little bit of colour for those days you're looking a little bland.

Couleur Caramel Cooked Powder: Before I say anything, can we please talk about how pretty this bronzer is!? Look at all that detail! Anyway, on to the review. If the Hoola isn't for you because it's a little too matte for your taste, then check this out. This bronzer is a shimmery bronzer which works great as a highlight for girls who are of colour. If you're skin is on the fairer side, then I wouldn't bring this near my face at all, as it can look orange if applied too much. I like to dust this on the tops of my cheekbones for a beautiful lit from within look.

Benefit Highbeam: Another Benefit product, I promise I'm not sponsored by them! This is probably my all time favourite highlighter. It comes in a nail polish like jar and you simply dot this where you want to radiate perfection. The only gripe I have with this, is that it can be a little hard to blend as it dries fairly quickly, so make sure you do it a step at a time!

Eye shadow

Naked 2 Palette: Before you say "not the Naked palette again!?" hear me out, if you don't like what you hear then you can continue to roll your eyes until you reach the next part of this post. I received this as a gift for my birthday from my chummies, and I have loved it ever since I laid eyes on it. I'm not one to wear much colour on my eyes, and prefer neutrals so this palette is perfect for me. The eye shadows are easy to blend and nicely pigmented, the brush given is wonderful, and the packaging is lovely. I like to use Snakebite on the lid and Tease in the crease to give me a nice everyday look.

Australis Tote's Smokin Palette: Sadly this was a limited edition palette but if you can still get your hands on it then I suggest you grab it right away! I discovered this little beauty from Mishelle's Sleepy Time and ran to Target and bought it for only $9.95! The eye shadows consist of shimmery shades and are very pigmented. The colours are right up my ally since I love neutral shades and the packaging is to die for simply because the mirror is massive, and why wouldn't you lovely people want to see your beautiful faces in a huge mirror?

Eyeliner/Mascara


Shiseido Cream Liner: My very first cream eyeliner and I haven't looked back. I get a lot of questions from friends or people I know about what eyeliner I use, or how I get my eyeliner to look so black. The answer is this magic in a pot. This eyeliner is completely waterproof and will not budge once applied. It comes with a teeny tiny brush that isn't the best but isn't so bad either. Not only does this last FOREVER but if you're a fan of black eyeliner that is darker than Voldemort's soul (or seven souls) then pick this up!

Bourjois Contour Clubbing Waterproof Eyeliner: Apparently this eyeliner is a dupe for the Urban Decay 24/7 liners. This liner is so creamy and so intensely dark that it makes for a great pencil liner to tight line your eyes with. I don't usually use eyeliner on my waterline (after a very hideous memory of my eyes looking like I coloured it in with a Sharpie when I was 14) but I like to apply this to my upper lash line to give the appearance of thicker eyelashes. If you're looking for a pencil liner that stays on, is creamy and glides on effortlessly, then this it!

Bourjois Fantastic Volume Mascara: I wrote a review on this mascara previously, which you can read about right here.

Lipstick/Lipglosses

Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick: Best. Lipsticks. Ever. These lipsticks are super cheap, even in Australia which says something considering our ridiculous prices, and they are great quality! I would say these are more of a cream/satin finish, and glide onto your lips like butter. They have a nice range of colours to choose from and don't seep into lip lines. They're long lasting and smell good enough to eat, and if you're lucky you can get them on sale!

Essence Stay With Me Lip glosses: You can read my review on these lip glosses here. You won't be disappointed!

Skincare

Cleanser: Sebamed Liquid Face & Body Wash. After receiving a sample of this from Sebamed and using it till the last drop, I knew I found a winner. This cleanser really cleans the skin without stripping it and making it dry. It has a very strong fragrance, which I haven't had any negative reactions too and is very gentle but effective. I haven't used this as a body wash but I'm assuming it would work wonderfully since it really clears the skin from any acne or clogged pores.

Scrub (not pictured above): Olay Blackhead Clearing Scrub. Unfortunately I ran out of this scrub recently and haven't been able to repurchase because of being so busy (busy as in catching up with my favourite TV shows), this scrub is very gentle considering it has microbeads, and really cleans out anything that is hiding in your pores and leaves your skin feeling smooth and looking radiant.

Mask: Palmer's Purifying Mask. HOLY GRAIL. Cannot live without this mask. This mask is a clay mask but does not leave your skin feeling tight and dry (say what!?), it will honestly make your skin feel like you've just gotten a facial and gets rid of those nasty congested places around your nose and forehead. I like to apply this once every 2 weeks or if my skin needs some extra help then once every week. Perfect for the summer time as it feels so refreshing on the skin and really helps cool your skin down.

Perfume

Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy: Okay if the bottle doesn't suck you in, then the fragrance definitely will. This perfume smells very fresh and floral, perfect for the summer time! Not only does it look great on your dresser but you will definitely be getting compliments when you wear this. It lasts for a good while and isn't too strong to give people around you a dreaded headache.

Britney Spears Fantasy: Yes, a celebrity perfume found its way into my favourites. Every single time I wear this perfume I have at least 3 people ask me what it is I'm wearing, that has got to mean something right? This perfume has a very woody scent and lasts all day (honestly). It's more of a sensual scent and you will be something out of a Lynx ad, when people start being drawn to you because of your scent.

So that's it! If you have made it all the way to the end then I thank you for reading all the way through! I'd love to know what your favourites are, comment down below if you've tried any of the products mentioned above or your personal favourites!

Leave a Comment

  1. Thats quite a list, love it! I have so many things I want to say haha. I have a similar skin tone to you + annoyingly obvious pores so I think I should def add the Benefit primer to my list of products to try out this year. Also, good to see the Australis eyeshadow palette on your list - I bought this a while ago for $5 but sadly never use it. I'll have to give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the hefty price tag! I really like to use the Australis shadows with other matte ones otherwise my eyes would start looking a little too shimmery x

      Delete
  2. Love your post! I've tried a lot of these things and I love them too! Also a few things I haven't tried but will definitely pick up sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's good to hear that other people are enjoying the same products that you are!

      Delete
  3. Ok I just added heaps of things to my wishlist haha! Especially that foundation! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always happens to me when I read other peoples favourites haha! You should definitely give it a go if you have oily skin, it took me a while to get used to since it can be quite thick but once you know how to work with it, you'll love it!

      Delete
  4. Ooops, I gave two porefessional samples to my friend and didn't think of to try it myself :/ I have the shiseido primer... I very rarely use it. It makes my face a little bit oily and doesn't do much with my pores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a shame! I have a whole tub of the Shiseido primer just sitting on my dresser, I didn't like it all! It left a horrible white cast over my face and did practically nothing to keep my makeup in place :/

      Delete
  5. Great post!
    I swear by the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. Even without using primer or powder, it stays perfect all day on my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Usually foundations tend to last a couple of hours on my skin before I start to see it wearing off, but this lasts all day!

      Delete
  6. The Palmer's mask is a holy grail for me too! I love so many of these products, I'm glad you enjoyed the Australis palette, I haven't used it in months so I need to pull it out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it? The good thing about it is that it's so cheap yet works better then some other pricier masks I've tried in the past!

      Delete
  7. Great post, and great products. Im also loving the Porefessional and Hoola, but then again, I think the whole world does, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely hyped up in the beauty world, but for a good reason since they're such great products!

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.