Best Drugstore/Highstreet Lipglosses

22 March 2014





Lipglosses. You might love em', or you might not. To be honest, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, some lip glosses make your lips look amazing, and the formula is great; while others tend to be sticky, and make your lips look weird and washed out. Which is why I wanted to write a blog post about the top affordable lip glosses that are accessible to mostly everyone, so you won't have to worry about tacky lip glosses while you're searching for the "one". In this post I won't be focusing on the shades of lipgloss, but the formula instead, as I think that's the most important thing when searching for a good lipgloss.






Bourjois Effet 3D Lipgloss // You can't have a favourites post without mentioning Bourjois. If I'm reaching for a clear gloss that can still give my lips a little bit of oomph, then this is the one I go for. The Bourjois Effet 3D Lipgloss has very finely milled shimmer which really helps plump up your lips and help them stand out. Now, I'm pretty sure no one likes it when a lipgloss is so sticky that your hair is getting caught in your lips (been there, done that #gross) which is also one of the reasons that Bourjois has really impressed me with this product. While it's very glossy, it isn't sticky at all (so you can walk in the wind without worrying about swallowing a whole head of hair). This product does have a con, but it's subjective to who is using it. The scent. This lipgloss reminds me of lollies, and while it sounds delicious, it isn't my favourite scent. The Bourjois Effet 3D Lipgloss has an additional 13 shades so it gives you plenty to choose from!



Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lipgloss // It's no secret that Maybelline makes some great lip products, and this one is no exception. This is perfect for those of you who want a lipgloss that's pigmented, but not so in-your-face. While it has great colour payoff, it's still sheer enough to wear everyday, and is especially great for people who are just starting out in makeup. Like most lipglosses, this has a scent to it as well, but unlike the Bourjois Lipgloss, I actually enjoy the fragrance as it reminds me of lemons (I have a weird love for lemon scented things), but if you prefer your lipglosses to not have a citrus-y scent, then don't freak out, because the scent doesn't actually linger. These come in 10 vibrant shades which range from nudes to dark pinks.





Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss // Okay call me shallow, but I originally wanted to try these because I loved the packaging. While it may look simple, it's so sleek and expensive looking, and you will be happy to know that the product inside the packaging is on par to a high end lipgloss. I tend to have very dry lips, so in the colder months I love to use lip products that help keep my lips hydrated and moisturised, and this is my favourite lipgloss for that purpose. This glides on so smoothly and effortlessly on the lips, and doesn't accentuate the dry areas on your lips at all. Surprisingly, this doesn't have a scent to it, which I actually like, because scents can be such a hit and miss most of the time, so you rather not have any at all. What I don't like about this, is the applicator. According to Revlon, the wand is supposed to give you an even application but I find that it's so hard to not smear this all over my lips, so I usually use a lip brush to apply this instead. I have the shade Bellini, but these come in 9 more shades and have something to suit everyone. 



Lanolips Lip Ointment with Colour // Speaking of moisturising lipglosses, I love the original Lanolips ointment as an overnight treatment, so when I saw that they have one with colour I knew I had to try it. While this doesn't have a huge shade range, the formula is fantastic. It's glossy, but not sticky, and it gives you a gorgeous pout in the process. It isn't too pigmented, but I find that when it's worn off, it leaves a nice stain and doesn't leave your lips looking bare. Unfortunately, while the packaging is great to throw into your handbag, it doesn't have the easiest application. In my opinion the tube should have had a slanted tip instead of a flat one, so Lanolips if you're reading, please take that into account! 




Essence Stay With Me Lipgloss // I left the best till last. This is my absolute favourite lipgloss, which I won't go into too much detail about as I wrote an in depth review here. In short, this is priced at $3.95 (yes, you read that right!) and is the most glossiest lip gloss I have ever tried. It's moisturising, pigmented, smells lovely and has a great applicator that takes a little getting used to, but once you do, helps give you a precise application. While it's slightly sticky, at $3.95, do we really have the right to complain? 

So these are my picks for top drugstore/highstreet lipglosses! Of course there are so many more great affordable options, so if you know anymore, then let me know in the comments down below!

Leave a Comment

  1. OMG I ACTUALLY SQUEALED WHEN YOU MENTIONED ESSENCE! I LOVEEEEE IT SO MUCH ASWELL! CORAL IS SUCH A PERFECT COLOUR!

    letsrunawayx.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love them! Plus, they're only $3.95 makes them even better hahaha

      Delete
  2. Great post, I also am a bit iffy when it comes to glosses. That Essence one sounds like something I need to try out, so cheap too! Everyone raves about Lanolips so I might also add that one to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both great lipglosses! I actually want to buy more shades from the Lanolips range, unfortunately they only have 4 colours though!

      Delete
  3. Sadly, I'm pretty sure those Essence glosses have been discontinued! :( They were clearancing them all a while back, I'm not sure if it was just particular shades or the whole line but yeah... Regardless you've mentioned plenty of other lovely glosses! I wonder if the Maybelline glosses we have here are the same as the ones all the British gals are going crazy over. They have the same name but different packaging!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! It really annoys me how Essence brings out such great products but then they discontinue it!

      Delete
  4. Great picks lovely! I'm really keen to try essence's gloss ^_^ looks beautiful!

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely collection of lip glosses. Although I am not a fan of glosses but Essence one looks amazing, worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed! Definitely! If they aren't discontinued, then for $3.95 you really can't go wrong!

      Delete
  6. I love Essence so much, and your post reminded me to get out my Essence glosses again! Like Tashi, I find it so frustrating when they discontinue some of their best products! Argh! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying! When I found out they discontinued their gel liner I was so disappointed!

      Delete
  7. I also use the Lanolin ointment with colour and love how it combines both the moisturising quality AND adds a bit of colour as well ;)
    x Court

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! Especially when your lips are as dry as mine haha x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.