How To Keep Your Foundation Looking Flawless All Day

26 March 2014



There is honestly very few things in life that are more annoying than applying your foundation perfectly, only to see an oily t-zone an hour later. Throughout my years as an oily skin gal, I've gained some knowledge through personal experience on how to keep your foundation lasting all day, and what products really work. So keep reading to see how I keep the oily-ness at bay, and keep my foundation looking better for longer.




Avene Thermal Spring Water // Before I bought this product, I was a little skeptical. I mean, it's just water in a can, so it sounded pretty gimmicky to me. But now that I've used it, I'm pretty sure they mix some magic in this God given water in-a-can. While you can use this for so many reasons (redness, acne, as a toner just to name a few) I like to use this before and after my foundation. Spray your face with this 3 times before you apply foundation, and 3 times after and watch how it absorbs all the excess oil. Plus, it prevents your foundation from looking cakey, so you really can't lose.


Primer and BB Cream // So, everyone already knows that you should use a primer if you want your foundation to last longer, but what you may not know is to apply a light layer of BB cream underneath your foundation. Not only will this help give you more coverage, so you don't have to apply a whole heap of foundation to cover your imperfections, but it will also give your foundation something to stick to. I like using the Revlon Photoready BB Cream and the L'Oreal Base Magique Primer, as I find that these two products work really well together. Oh, and a note to be taken, wait at least 5 minutes after applying these products before you move on to your foundation. Same goes with your moisturiser and sunscreen.



Foundations // Right, onto the most crucial step of a foundation routine, and that's the foundation itself. If you read my Choosing The Right Foundation post then you will already know to choose an "oil-free" foundation. While it seems pretty self explanatory, many people actually use the wrong foundation for their skin type, which is why it doesn't look the way they would like it to. Foundations that are matte, or dry down to a powder finish is your best bet, which is why I really like the Couleur Caramel Hydracoton Foundation, and as you all know, the Estee Lauder Double Wear. Also, invest in a good foundation brush, my two favourites are the Real Techniques Buffing and Expert Face Brush. They're affordable, apply your foundation flawlessly, and really make a difference to how long your foundation lasts on your skin.



Powder // This last step is optional, and I know many of you (including me) will never even think about leaving the house without applying powder; but for those who are oily but not too oily, then there's no need to apply an extra product. If you do need to powder though, try and use setting powders instead of face powders, as they're specially formulated to keep your foundation on your face longer. It also isn't as thick, so you won't end up with caky looking skin. As you can see, by the way I hit pan on this product, I really like the Revlon Photoready Powder, which I apply with a Real Techniques Powder Brush.

Now all you need to do is spray your face 3 times with the Avene Thermal Spring Water and you're good to go, and ready to face the world! While this may keep your foundation flawless for longer, I suggest you keep some sort of blotting papers in your handbag, because you never know when the oil will start peeking through.

Do you have any tips and tricks to keeping your foundation looking flawless all day?



Leave a Comment

  1. the avene spray is my absolute favourite! love how refreshing it feels as well

    ♥ M&L twoplicates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I need to repurchase it and I'm thinking of buying the larger can this time round :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post - I found it really helpful! I haven't thought of using a bb cream underneath my foundation - I'm always scared it might cake up. I might give it a go though after reading your post! I'm skeptical about the avene spray too, but I would like to try a setting spray!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you put on a really thin layer you should be good to go! The MAC Fix+ is on my wish list, I've heard rave reviews about that setting spray!

      Delete
  3. I was the same as you about the Avene Thermal Spray but now I love it and always want it in my life :)


    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally didn't know about the Avene spray! I honestly thought it was just water too but I think I'm going to go to Chemist Warehouse and get myself a few now :P

    Thanks so much for this post B! :)

    x
    Phoebe | Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound quite gimmicky but it's amazing at setting makeup and soothing the skin! I highly recommend it, and I hope you love it as much as I do! x

      Delete
  5. I didn't like my loreal primer... after I applied it, the product rolled off my face when i rubbed it gently.. did it happen to you?

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely hated it when I first used it, but for some reason it's grown on me haha! I think there are better primers out there but this is one of the very few from the drugstore that I've actually tried and later on enjoyed :)

      Delete
  6. Ooooh i really want to try this Avene water-in-a-can hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do and how it works out for you! x

      Delete
  7. Avene spray is a must have for me. I've always got an unopened can in the cupboard. I replace it as soon as I open it. If I see it on sale I stock up. Couldn't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the same boat as you, it's such a lovely product and can be used for a multitude of things!

      Delete
  8. My foundation always ends up looking oily thanks to my super oily skin. And i find that mattifying powders makes my face look cakey :( i'm about to give up on wearing foundations completely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe find a good setting spray instead of using a powder? I'm sure you'll find something, keep your head up! :) x

      Delete
  9. You make me want to try the Thermal Spring Water now! I've always been skeptical. Thanks for sharing your foundation tricks! :)

    Ty's Blog of Epiphanies

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.