The Best Highlighters!

6 April 2014



Ahhh highlighters, where do I begin? To cut it short, I love highlighters. Oily skin and dewy foundations don't work too well, so when I still want to look like I've had plenty of sleep, drank the right amount of water, and I'm just healthy overall, I turn to highlighters. You see, you can still use a matte foundation, and apply highlighter on top to give you that gorgeous lit-from-within look. Some of these highlighters mentioned will work better with certain skin tones, but I've tried to include something for everyone. So without further ado, here are my favourite highlighters!




Benefit High Beam // Many people have a love/hate relationship with this product, and I can understand why. This can be quite hard to blend, but once you know how to work with this product, it looks beautiful on the skin. It comes in a nail polish type bottle, and I like to apply 3 dots on my both my cheekbones and blend it out with my Real Techniques Contour Brush. I suggest you work on one side of your face at a time as this dries really fast and that makes it harder to blend, but once it's on, it's not going anywhere. Seriously. This product has a pink undertone, and it would work best for those with cooler undertones (if you have purple veins, you have a cool undertone), also, if you have fair skin, then this is something that you should add to your wishlist.



Essence Metal Glam Highlighter Powder in 01 Gold Digger* // I feel like I always include Essence in these sort of blog posts, but how could I not? While Benefit is on the expensive side, you will be happy to know that Essence won't break the bank (as usual), oh, and apparently this is a dupe for the Mary-Lou Manizer by The Balm. As made clear in the name, this is a gold highlight, but don't worry, it doesn't make you look like Tinkerbell puked on you. Think Kim Kardashian glow, and it brings out those cheekbones you never even knew you had (chubby cheek woes). This one is for my girls who have warmer skin (if you have green veins, then you have warm undertones), and who's skin tone is olive or darker. This blends beautifully, is big enough to last you forever, but small enough to throw in your handbag, and it also doubles for an eyeshadow! Yeah, you basically won the jackpot with this one.



Essence Fantasia Highlighter in 01 Elf Yourself // If you inwardly groaned to yourself just then because I included another Essence product, sorry to say, I don't even feel guilty. Okay, I sort of do, but I can't help it, I couldn't just alienate this little guy. So, I'm pretty sure this isn't available anymore, but the point is, that Essence highlighters are the bomb. While Gold Digger is for those who's skin is on the darker side, this is another great option for those of you who have paler skin. While this should double as a blush and highlighter, the blush doesn't exactly show up on my skin. Regardless, this makes for a beautiful highlight, oh and it looks pretty too. 



Avon Face Pearls // Right, so I've mentioned this many times, and unfortunately, while I LOVE this product, the packaging doesn't have the shade name written. Let's just pretend it does, and the world is a better place, and the sun is shining, and that this highlighter/blush is the best thing that has ever happened to me (maybe not the best, but you get what I mean). If you're looking for a highlighter that's not so obvious, and a lot more subtle, then this. Is. It. Trust me. It has tiny dark pink and light pink balls (ha ha), and when you swirl your brush into the product, and apply to the skin, it just gives off the most natural, beautiful glow. You also have the choice of applying this over your blush, or if you're like me, wear it on it's own. This also works wonderfully with all skin tones, so everyone's a winner here. Avon, you go Glen Coco! (maybe just put the shade name on the packaging next time)

L-R: Avon Face Pearls, Essence Elf Yourself, Essence Gold Digger, Benefit High Beam


So there you are, my favourite highlighters! I would like to extend a warm thank you for being so patient with my annoying blogging schedule. University life is tough and is keeping me away from my one true love: blogging. 

What are your favourite highlighters?

P.S. If you love reading my blog, then vote for me in the AWC Awards! Thank you in advance for all who do! You can vote right here.

* PR Sample - opinions are honest and always my own, as stated in my disclosure policy.

Leave a Comment

  1. I love seeing posts about highlighters, they're so exciting! The Essence Metal Glam one looks amazing, I actually bought it the other day because it looked similar to the Balm one. Benefit also make some great highlighters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried The Balm's highlighters, but they look so nice! Glad Essence released a some what dupe of it, and for half the price!

      Delete
  2. I love Benefit High Beam. It's awesome stuff!
    Oh, and I voted for you too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! And thank you so much! x

      Delete
  3. Great choices! I absolutely love Benefit High Beam! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Basmah! This'll really help me as I have a similar skin tone to you! Wish I could afford the Benefit High Beam, but I'm definitely going to try the Essence highlighters.

    xTara
    tarasauroh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's so great Tara, nice to know that what works for me will hopefully work for you! I hope you enjoy the Essence highlighters, let me know how it works out for you! x

      Delete
  5. Hey Basmah, awesome post and I'm thrilled to bits you included 2 essence products - I'm a huge fan of the range but hadn't even noticed the highlighters! My current fave is the FOA illuminator in the big fat tube in angel flame, but I'll be scouring the essence stand next time I'm in target ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely wanted to try the FOA illuminators, people have said that one of them is a dupe for a NARS product!

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried any of these highlighters! I find that a lot of highlighters don't seem to do anything for me. I haven't tried a liquid like the benefit high beam yet, maybe that is what I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is! Benefit High Beam really shows up on the skin as well, so you won't find it disappearing into your foundation once you've blended it in :) x

      Delete
  7. I purchased highlighter online from Awesome bazar. Awesome Bazar provides best competitive prices product and fast delivery process . Really very nice service of awesome bazar, Awesome bazaar best Shopping destination . Find At https://awesomebazar.com/cosmetics/face/highlighter.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.