Voices of 2014! (And A Bit Of An Emotional Post)

13 April 2014



My body is aching, my feet are covered in blisters (thanks uncomfortable-but-really-pretty shoes), but I knew I had to have this post up today. If you're a tad bit confused, then I'll stop rambling. To cut it short, Lacee & Lattes has been chosen as one of the top 40 Beauty and Lifestyle blogs for the Kidspot Voices of 2014 awards! I found out I was nominated a while ago, but I wasn't allowed to tell anyone (boo!), and believe me, it was virtually killing me to hide it from everyone, but a girls gotta' do, what a girls gotta' do.


Let's start from the beginning. 2 weeks ago, I received a lovely email from Kidspot letting me know that I've been nominated for the Voices of 2014 awards, I read it over and over again, not quite believing what I was reading, and then I sort of whooped for joy while waiting to get a flu shot.

If you're not sure what the Voices of 2014 is about, it's an annual blogger awards event that recognises the top 100 blogging talent of Australia. This is seperated between 3 categories (Personal and Parenting, Beauty and Lifestyle and Food and Wellbeing). The winner will get a shiny trophy, an awesome car from Ford, a chance to write for Kidspot and Taste Magazine, and so many other amazing prizes!

You see, I started blogging regularly in December of last year, and it was SO surreal to even think about being nominated as I'm a fairly new blogger. Also, it came as such a surprise, as someone else nominated my blog (if it was you, please let me know so I can thank you personally!). I was then invited to the blogging masterclass and the launch party, which I went to yesterday and took so many photos so you guys can feel as if you were there with me. I had the chance to meet so many other amazing bloggers, and took away so much valuable information from the masterclass. While it was raining, and gloomy, and I was carrying a million and one bags, not to mention straightening my hair and then finding out it was going to pour, I still had the best time of my life.

The masterclass was taught at the most quirky, coolest place called The School by Megan Morton. As soon as you enter, you were greeted by the lovely people of Kidspot, and then taken to a room full of excitement. The whole time I was thinking "why wasn't my school like this?". We learnt about how to keep up with social media, how to not over share while blogging, and so many other valuable tips and tricks. I also met the most inspiring blogger, Sneh from Cook Republic. I remember watching her talk to us and sort of staring at her in awe (now that I think about it, I probably looked like a creep).












10 cups of coffee later, it was time to end the masterclass, and get ready for the launch party. Now let me tell you, this place was glamorous! It was held at the Luxe Studios in Darlinghurst, and while my feet didn't really enjoy the walk (see above for annoying painful shoes), the party was so much fun. To sum it up: cars, beautiful people, photographers, glitz, glamour, you get the deal. I unfortunately had to leave a tiny bit early since I had commitments the next day, but regardless, I had an amazing time. I met some great ladies, such as Carolyn from Desire Empire, and Tea from The Ladida, and did I mention that the food was delicious?














I also want to take this note to thank each and every single one of you. I know I may have said it before, but this blog won't be anything without all of you reading, commenting and generally enjoying my posts. To my beautiful friends on Facebook, thank you for the beautiful and kind words I receive everyday, you all make me want to keep going, and achieve my dreams even more. To my friends, specifically my best friend Saania, thanks for putting up with my nonsense. I know I've called you countless times crying about not knowing what to do with my life and you always knew how to lift my spirits. 

Thank you to my AMAZING family, especially my sister. To be honest, this blog wouldn't have even started without her motivation and support. She has been with me from day one, sharing my posts, giving me feedback, and sharing my happiness when wonderful opportunities like this come. Thank you to my parents for everything that you do. I know I can be hard to handle at times and that I can be taking a million photos all day to get the perfect one, but not once do you guys complain. Lastly, thank you to each and every single one of you that's reading this right now. Whether you visit my blog every hour of the day, or this is your first time stopping by, thank you for reading something that I thought would amount to nothing. When I read your comments, your tweets, or even your emails, I get a sense of pride and joy, and I honestly think of you all as my very close friends (this sounds like an Oscar acceptance speech or something).

Now's the part where it gets a little emotional. I wanted to tell you all something I've never made public. Over the past few years, I've been told countless things. Not so nice things. I was told I would fail at life, I wouldn't amount to anything, I would never become a beauty journalist. To be honest with you, I started believing every single word. I hid in my room, I never used to work, I would never try my best at anything, I mean, why should I? I would be destined to fail, right? I would be considered "dumb", I've had people who I've been very close to put me down, and try to prove me wrong in every single way possible. I just wanted to write this little post, not to get emo on all of you, but to let each and every single person reading this now, that whatever anyone tells you, you have a chance in this world. You can make a difference, you can leave your mark, and you can make yourself proud. If anyone laughs at your dreams and aspirations, ignore them, walk away, and push yourself to work hard. 

This is why I specifically wanted to mention my sister (and my brother-in-law, for kindly picking me up from the city last night), I remember crying to her over the phone, and what she said really resonated with me. She gave me the cold hard truth. She told me that I need to stop feeling sorry for myself, and actually work towards my dream. That's what I did, and now I have all of you to thank for it. So thank you everyone, you've all been part of a wonderful start to an endless journey. 

P.S. Sorry for the extra long post, I really wanted to put that last part in here so everyone can have a reminder that once you start something, so many wonderful opportunities will arise. I promise.

P.P.S. If you would like to see my profile on Kidspot, and check out all the other amazing nominees, then you can do so by clicking here.

Leave a Comment

  1. Congratulations Basmah !!
    I was so excited to read this post about you being nomiated & go you !

    So much love to send your way xx
    i hope you keep blogging & follow your dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, wow! That is SO exciting to be nominated for such an awesome award! That is great for you girl! The event looked like it was amazing. Thanks for opening up here - that is terrible that people told you such horrible things and I can see why that would get you down. I agree that it's important not to take heed of such comments and definitely work hard and you can achieve things in life!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tasha! It really is isn't it? But it always feels SO much better when you start to prove them wrong! x

      Delete
  3. Congrats lovely!!! I'm so happy for you!! Thanks for opening up..it actually made me really angry..how can anyone say those things to you? It's just wrong. Don't let what they say bring you down, just prove them wrong and rub it all over their faces lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerri! And huge congrats to you too! I wish I could have met you last night, but maybe sometime in the future!

      Delete
  4. It was lovely to meet you last night and congrats on becoming a finalist.
    As for the put downs, it's part of life and good on you for rising above it.
    Carolyn Desire Empire
    Ps thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! Yes, it definitely is. You can either sulk about it, or rise above it and you should always go for the latter! :)

      Delete
  5. So happy for you Basmah!!
    Quite an inspiration for me...keep up the excellently written articles (or posts, I don't know much about blogs haha), I love reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilaha! I'm glad you enjoy them! x

      Delete
  6. Basmah, I have experienced and still sometimes experience the same thing as you where people who are supposed to be supportive of me think that I will not succeed or achieve my goals. If it's someone who I don't know I could care less cause they don't know me but it really hurts when it's people close to you. I think the doubters kind of make me want to succeed more because I want to prove them wrong and make them eat their words. You have definitely risen above the doubters Basmah. Success is the best revenge for those that put you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It brings you down at the beginning, but once you learn to rise above it, it feels SO good when you start to prove them wrong. Everyone has potential, and everyone can achieve their dreams, they just need to discover themselves first, and have the courage to take a few risks.

      Delete
  7. Congrats Bas, I am so happy for you. You should be proud of yourself for rising above such negative nasty people! Keep your head held high, hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome news Bas darling - so thrilled for you hon, and very well earned. To rise above the negativity of those around you is a triumph, and your story is downright inspiring. Best of luck my dear, not that you'll need it - I can see you whizzing around in that little goldmobile already! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Kat! If it helps even one person rise above hate, then my job here is done. I'm glad you liked it, I was so nervous posting this up haha! x

      Delete
  9. congrats darling! this is such a wonderful achievement :)

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hopefully we cross paths again! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.