Best Homemade Hair Masks!

19 July 2014



I've been on the hunt to try and get my hair back into shape. For some reason, my hair has been very dry and straw like, and no matter what I do to it, or however I style it, something is always off. It would lack shine and moisture, and it was always a huge frizz-ball. Not to mention I cut my hair quite short recently (to my standards), and I want to keep it in great condition. So, for the past few weeks, I've been trying all sorts of home made hair masks, that you can make from the ingredients in your kitchen! I'm bringing to you the home remedies that helped my hair, and hopefully, you can have some great success out of these too!




Yogurt Hair Mask // I would have to say that this is my absolute favourite out of all of these, because not only is it an affordable and easy protein treatment, but unlike so many hair masks, it isn't hard to wash out! I'm always skeptical in putting things in my hair since I hate standing in the shower for 2 hours trying to rinse it off, but have no fear, because if you suffer from the same dilemma, then try this out. Yogurt, egg, and oil (preferably olive, or almond oil). When my hair is feeling a little lack luster I like to apply this protein mask once a week to liven it up a whole lot, and all you need is a tablespoon of yogurt, one egg (with the yolk), and a tablespoon of oil. Of course, feel free to switch the quantity based on how long your hair is. After you mix all the ingredients together, apply it all over your hair, cover with saran wrap, and put a shower cap over your hair. Then wait for at least 2 hours before you decide to wash it off. Now, you may notice that this smells pretty awful, and I feel the saran wrap stops the process from being messy and melting down your neck (believe me, I've had some pretty weird experiences). You can also add a little scented oil if the smell really bothers you that much, and make sure you wrap a towel around your neck because you don't want this getting all over your clothes. Wash it out, and I promise you, you won't be able to stop feeling your hair, plus if you suffer from dandruff, then this is great to banish those pesky white flakes!


Olive Oil // I won't say this is a hair mask, but more of a hot oil treatment. I've been using olive oil for a very long time, and I mean, ever since I was 5 years old. Growing up in a Pakistani family, the most important thing after finding a good husband is keeping your hair in great condition. So to define that for you: long, thick, and black hair. Bonus points if it's straight as well (which I was never blessed with. Boo!). In comes olive oil, or any sort of hair oil really. You can use coconut (which is the cult favourite these days), or almond oil if you don't have olive oil at home. What I like to do is warm some oil in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, and apply it while it's warm all over the hair. Make sure you really massage it into the scalp, because not only does it feel good, it also helps promote hair growth. Afterwards, I recommend leaving it in overnight, but if you're strapped for time, then around 2 hours. Now, here comes the downside, oil is not easy to wash off, so you may find that you'll have to give it a thorough cleanse at least twice in the shower, depending on how much hair you have. But while the struggle is very much real, I can assure you that you won't regret it!



Avocado // This next one is for those who really need something to condition the scalp, and the reason why I mention the scalp specifically, is because this mask is not supposed to be used on the ends of the hair. If you're like me and lose a lot of hair (I also have iron deficiency, so check with your doctor!), then this mask is perfect for you, as it helps reduce hair loss, and hydrate and smooth your hair. All you need is 1 mashed avocado, 1 tablespoon of honey, and around 2 tablespoons of your preferred oil. Mix the ingredients until it's well combined, and apply it to your scalp. This one is also great if you don't have much time, as unlike the other hair masks, you only leave this one on for 20-30 minutes, and your hair will be as soft as a brand new makeup brush.

Bi-Carb Soda // Lastly, this is great for product build-up rather than it's moisturising properties. Bi-Carb soda. Yes, the unlikely ingredient is excellent at removing residue from your hair, which can be the reason your hair isn't looking its best. Since most of our shampoos contain ingredients such as sulphate, our hair needs something to clarify and get rid of all the junk that's sitting on top of our hair. Take 1-2 tablespoons of Bi-Carb soda, and mix in a small amount of water until it forms a paste like consistency. Let it sit in your hair for 15 minutes, rinse it off, and voila! Residue free hair! I will say, that limit yourself to using this once every 2 weeks, because you don't want to start stripping you hair of its natural oils if you do this too often.

So now that you have beautiful hair, go out and show it off to the world! Who knew that the answers to our hair dilemmas were sitting in our kitchen cupboard the whole time.

If you try any of these, or have tried any of these, then let me know how you liked it! What are your favourite home remedies?


Leave a Comment

  1. Bas, what wonderful mask creations. I definitely want to try them, too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! x

      Delete
  2. I usually just stick to store bought hair masks but knowing exactly what your putting in your hair with these all natural home made versions seems like a great idea! I think the bi carb would be great for me because I always forget to buy a clarifying shampoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I have a really sensitive scalp, so unfortunately I can't use all shampoos, so a homemade option is great!

      Delete
  3. Basmah, its great i cant just stop from tring, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post Beth! Let me know how it works out for you! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.