Dermalogica mediBac Review!

5 August 2014



I think someone needs to whack me on my hands a couple of times, because I've been taking such HUGE breaks in between my posts! Apologies for the millionth time, I need to get into my routine again, and with university up and running, hopefully I can find a way to balance the two. Today's post is on  two products from the Dermalogica mediBac range. Now I'm sure I don't need to tell you all about Dermalogica, since it's such a well known skin care brand, but the mediBac range is specially targeted towards those who have problematic skin, so if you're someone who suffers from acne then you may enjoy this range.







Lets start off with the cleanser. I was sent the Clearing Skin Wash* to trial, and it couldn't have come at a better time. At the time, I was suffering from break outs, under the skin pimples, and probably every terrible skin problem known to man. According to the Dermalogica website, this facial wash "helps clear oils and breakout-causing bacteria on breakout-prone skin. Salicylic Acid combines with antiseptic extracts to help stimulate natural exfoliation, clear clogged follicles, cool inflammation and prevent future breakout activity. Formulated without artificial fragrances and colors." The claims were quite impressive, and what was more impressive were the reviews, so you can imagine how excited I was to test to this out.



This product has a very gel-like consistency, and when you emulsify it with water, it becomes almost like a paste. It also smells heavily of tea tree oil, so if you don't enjoy the scent of nature then prepare yourself, because this is packed with it. On first use, I really enjoyed this cleanser, it left my skin feeling squeaky clean, and I felt fresh and wide awake. It almost leaves a tingly sensation on the skin, which makes me feel as if this product is actually working. So fast forward a week later, and I noticed how my breakouts had disappeared into oblivion, and my skin was generally looking fan-freaking-tastic, except for one huge problem. My skin started drying out. Cue the dramatic cries, and screams into the distance, I'm pretty sure I freaked my cats out, because I was absolutely loving this cleanser, and of course my skin had to react to it. Now, this cleanser, like most skin care products targeted towards acne, contains Salicylic Acid, which is known to dry your skin out, and considering we're in the midst of winter, my skin already lacked hydration and moisture, so it probably wasn't the greatest idea to use this day and night. So while I was pondering about my dilemma, I decided to read some more reviews, and many people suggested to use this once every other day if you have dry skin, so that's what I decided to do.

I like to use this product in conjunction with my Clarisonic, as I find that the two really work well together, and I generally use this cleanser to take my makeup off for the day. I use it about twice a week, and it has really helped the breakouts on my skin, and the great thing about this, is that you get a ton of product. I use a pea size amount, and sometimes I think even that's too much! So, my verdict is, that this would most likely be my summer cleanser, as my skin is much more oily during the summer, and when my skin is on the drier side, limit the use to about twice a week. If you're curious to know how I got my skins moisture levels back, then I should be doing a winter skin care routine very soon!



Onto the Dermalogica mediBac Oil Control Lotion*. I have mixed opinions about this product, and you'll soon find out why. This lotion comes in a small, 59 mL bottle, and is priced at $55. Dermalogica claims that this product is "An oil-free, feather-light lotion to help hydrate while reducing shine. Non-greasy formula soothes irritated skin and helps eliminate congestion while preventing future breakouts. Microspheres help absorb oil on the skin's surface, leaving skin with an all-day matte finish. Formulated without artificial fragrances and colors."




Let's start off with the good points. I love the packaging for the product, while it's small, don't let the size fool you! you really don't need much of this product, and the little nozzle at the top helps you give just the right amount of lotion, so you don't have any wastage (it is $55 after all). It doesn't contain SPF, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. A good thing if you're going to be taking photos, then this lotion is great for flash photography, and a bad thing if you're going to be in the sun a lot. It's also very light, and doesn't feel heavy on the skin at all, plus, this product absorbs quickly into the skin, so if you hate it when products sit on top of the skin, then you'll be happy to know that this definitely doesn't.



The consistency of this product is very runny, and I find that I need about 2-3 drops to cover my entire face and neck. Now onto the problems that I had with this product. Keep in mind that I currently have quite dehydrated skin already, but after reading reviews of other people, they had the same problems as I did. While this is an oil-control lotion, I actually found my skin was producing more oil throughout the day, as this product wasn't giving me adequate hydration, BUT I was still blessed with those horrible flakey and tight skin. So to keep it short and simple, my skin was oily, but it was still dry (it doesn't make sense to me either, don't worry). I did find a way around all of this though by applying my normal moisturiser over this product, but considering this costs $55, I would expect it to work on its own. Now, it could be just me, since I have very sensitive skin, and I've read many great reviews on this product, but this just didn't work well for my skin.

It doesn't have a very distinct fragrance, so that is a point to consider if you're someone who isn't a fan of scented products. For now, I'll be sticking to my current moisturiser and just like the cleanser, try this product out again in the summer time and update you then. If this has worked great for you, then please let me know in the comments below, because I would love to hear your experience with this product!

So there you have my views on two products from the Dermalogica mediBac range! While I was highly impressed with the cleanser, the lotion isn't really up my street. Let me know in the comments what your favourite Dermalogica product is!

* PR Sample - opinions are honest and always my own, as stated in my disclosure policy.

Leave a Comment

  1. Hmm while this Dermalogica range sounds effective, I'm not so sure I like the sound of their drying-out nature. A bit too expensive for my taste too!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's best suited for oilier skin, so I definitely suggest picking up a sample before you invest!

      Delete
  2. The cleanser sounds great! Not too sure about the lotion - probably better suited to Summer. I have heard mixed things about the Dermalogica range and as it is quite pricey, I want to know I'll get my moneys worth! Lovely post though, just followed your blog :) Xxx

    The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow lovely! I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.