University Essentials!

9 September 2014

If I do a flashback to last week, then you would see me pulling my hair out of frustration because I was so stressed out. University can really take a toll on you, which is why it's important to stay organised, and under control so you're not doing things in the last minute (which can jeopardise your GPA, which, let's face it, none of us want). I decided to a do a university essentials post to help you out, if you're currently in the same situation I was last week.





Books



Right, so if we take into account how many textbooks we have to carry around with us, we don't really want to buy a book for each subject, making our bag even more heavier than it already is. I usually like to keep all my information in one place, so I buy campus books with page dividers. This helps me have all my subjects in one spot, and helps make everything more convenient. I stick to three subjects per book, as I like to dedicate two sections of the book to one subject (one for lectures, one for tutes), this helps me stay more organised. You can buy these books from anywhere, but I bought mine from Big W for around $4. 

Diary/Calendar





The most crucial step in staying organised and on top of your work. If you can't stick to diaries, go out and buy (or make your own) calendar. University isn't like high school, where you get 2 week notifications for your assignments, you're meant to know all that yourself, so to avoid missing a deadline write down everything on your calendar or diary. I like to start my assignments 2 weeks before the actual deadline and set myself a target on when I'm supposed to finish the assignment. Write down everything including: assignment dates, when you will start your assignment, when you will finish, your quiz dates, and anything else you need to remember. If you start assignments early, chances are you'll get a better mark, and you won't be crying the night before because you left it till the last minute (I've been there, it's not pretty!). 

Tech Stuff



Now, I'm not telling you to go out and buy an iPad, but I do HIGHLY recommend it. It doesn't even have to be an iPad, it could be some form of tablet. I like to take my iPad to uni since taking my laptop is too much work, and makes my shoulders ache. A reason why I love the iPad is because I can take notes easily, and also, if your textbook comes in ebook form, then you can download it straight to your tablet. My favourite apps for taking notes is Evernote, because it allows me to make separate folders and files for different subjects, plus, it's free! Slideshark is also great if you need to present slideshows for assignments.


Don't be confused, I don't own a pink MacBook, but this is actually a keyboard for the iPad. I bought this off ebay, and they have a huge varieties of iPad keyboards available, and they are incredibly handy! You just attach your iPad or tablet, and it becomes almost like a laptop, and you're able to take down notes easily and quickly, and it looks really cute too! Now, I usually type my lecture notes when I'm listening to the lecture, but I then like to hand write my notes, as I find that I the words get saved into my mind as I write them out. 


Stationery/Other Items


Right, now we've come to the fun stuff! Stationery. Pretty sure that I'm not the only one obsessed with stationery, there's just something so satisfying about buying new pens and highlighters. First thing you're going to need is a pencil case, my one is from Typo and it has makeup printed on it for obvious reasons, but any pencil case will do. Depending on your subject you may need a calculator, but since I'm studying media, I thankfully don't need to do any math or science (woohoo!). The next most important thing is highlighters! I have to do a lot of reading and research for my subjects, so different coloured highlighters are key for helping me study. I also like to buy rainbow coloured pens (completely optional), because I find the different colours help me remember my study notes, plus, they make my work look like a unicorn wrote them instead of boring ol' me. After that, the most obvious is pens. I like fine pens as they make my writing look neater, and they don't smudge as much as medium tipped pens do. Make sure your pens are comfortable to write with, as you will be doing a lot of essays and note taking, and you don't want your hands to get tired after 20 minutes. 

So let's do a little recap: 
  1.  Start your assignment two weeks before the actual deadline.
  2.  Write down EVERYTHING on a calendar and diary.
  3.  Do your assignments in order of priority (work harder on the assignment worth 25% rather than the one worth 5%).
  4. For assignments, it really helps to use library resources instead of online all the time.
  5. Remember, take a breather, and have breaks in between! Life isn't just studying and getting high distinctions all the time!
I hope that helped you or will help you if you're stuck in a rut! As I said, remember to enjoy uni while you're there, as they can be some of the best moments of your life, and if you have any more tips and tricks, then leave them in the comments below!

Leave a Comment

  1. Great tips! Having a tablet makes life a lot easier. I've been at uni for 5 years and I still have to cram when exams come around, I'll never learn ;) luckily I'll be finished for good in 3 months time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky! I still have 2 years to go haha, and if I decide to do my masters, then even longer!

      Delete
  2. just wondering where I can find the diary you have because most of the ones ive seen have little to no room to.write everything in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Filofax! This one was a gift from my uncle in Dubai, but they have a wide range if you check on their website. Also, Kikki K do an awesome range of Filofaxes aswell :) x

      Delete
  3. Great tips, keeping a diary was such a help at uni :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.