Detangling Brushes

16 October 2014




I'm a huge fan of detangling brushes. No, seriously, when I mean a huge fan, I MEAN a huge fan. Before I discovered the all mighty detangling hair brush I used to brush my hair with extreme force, and probably ripped out a couple of million strands of hair (no exaggeration), not only will I be damaging my hair, but I'll also be in excruciating pain, as if someone was y'know, ripping my hair out. Now, I've tried a fair few, and I thought "why not do a comparison blog post?", so here I am, bringing you three different detangling brushes, and deciding once and for all which hair brush wins. Today's tournament is between three brushes: the highly popular Tangle Teezer, the really nifty Michel Mercier Detangling Brush, and the brand spankin' new Lady Jayne Tangleze.







First up is the original, and probably the most popular out of the three, the Tangle Teezer. It reminds me a horse brush don't you think? Anyway, the Tangle Teezer is a small, compact hair brush that's a great size if you like to take a hair brush around in your purse, or if you travel a lot. Now, this was my first detangling hair brush, and I want to say straight off the bat, that this baby is expensive. On the Australian website for Tangle Teezer, this is priced at $29.95 but is it worth the money? Let's talk about the pros: great for travel as mentioned before, the size is perfect to take around with you, it comes in a wide range of colours and designs (also, there's some for kids as well, so if you're a mum then that's a sure fire way to get the kids to brush their hair!), I have the Pink Fizz colour, but they have a huge shade range, so you're bound to find something you like. Also, I will say that if you have fine hair, then this works great. It detangles hair, leaves it smooth, and also, you can brush your hair wet and it won't damage your hair in the process. Now, the cons. First of all, the size of this brush makes it quite difficult to brush your hair, as it doesn't have a handle, also if you have thick hair then I suggest you stay away. I find that on my thick hair, not only will it break my hair, but the bristles of the brush would bend all over the place, and let me tell you, considering how expensive it was, I was annoyed as hell. Also, it's a pain to clean! So many people told me how easy it is to wash since it's plastic, but I don't know about them, I found it so difficult to properly wash and remove all the hair. In the end, I left it soaking in water for half and hour and scrubbed till my hands went raw.




Next is the Michel Mercier Detangling Brush for normal hair. How big is this hair brush? Everyone who sees this asks me why I need such a massive hair brush, so is it something to take around with you? Er, maybe not. But is it a good hairbrush? Absolutely! The reason I love this hair brush is the fact that they have three versions for each type of hair. Fine hair, normal hair, and thick hair, so they have something to cater to everyone. They don't have a wide range of colours like the Tangle Teezer, but it has a handle which is the next best thing. Having a handle on my hair brush is crucial, and I believe that's the case for a lot of people, especially to those with long hair. Now let's talk about the bad stuff first. It's really big (which could be seen as a pro, as mentioned later), it's pricey at about $20.95, and lastly, when you wash this hair brush, water gets trapped underneath the bristles but it goes away after a while. Now to the good stuff. It does exactly what it mentions, it detangles hair! So easily in fact, that you can't even feel this gliding through your knots and tangles, also, I found that I have less split ends after I started using this hair brush. Another great thing is, that unlike the Tangle Teezer, they have different brushes for different hair types, so the bristles are more sturdier and don't bend too much because of thick hair. I also personally like that it's so big, because it makes hair brushing a thousand times quicker.




Lastly, the new Australian version, Lady Jayne Tangleze. This hair brush is extremely cute, as it's so small and compact, that it's perfect if you have short hair or want a travel sized hair brush. It comes in two colours, pink and purple, and it's priced at a much more affordable $12.99. It reminds me a lot of the Tangle Teezer, so if you don't want to splurge on that, then this may be a good option. I will have to say though, that this is my least favourite of the bunch. Unlike the other two, the bristles on this hair brush are very rough and hard, and I can feel my hair being pulled out from my scalp, also, I can't imagine this working very well for those who have thick, curly hair. If you have fine hair, then I'm sure you will enjoy this more than I did, but the fact that the bristles are not anything I would associate "detangling" with, I very rarely reach for this. Some good points are: it's small and compact, it's very aesthetically appealing, most likely will work great for those who have fine hair, and it's affordable. The cons? Not good for those with thick or curly hair, the bristles are hard and painful, and just like the Tangle Teezer, there is no handle (which I can forgive since it's a travel sized hair brush).

So I guess it's pretty obvious who won. Drum rolls please! The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush! Not only is it ergonomic and easy to use, but it does exactly what it says. It also has three different hair brushes for different types of hair, so you are bound to find something that suits you! While it's very expensive for a hair brush, I have seen a huge improvement in my hair after constant use, and I highly recommend this product, especially if you haven't had much luck with detangling brushes in the past.

What's your favourite detangling hair brush?


Leave a Comment

  1. My hair doesn't really get tangled ever, you'd think that would be a good thing but I have a hard time creating any sort of messy bun!! I never used to even brush my hair with a brush. I would just straighten it & run my fingers through. I bought a tangle teezer though & I love it. I have fine hair (but a lot of it) so normal bristle brushes would literally just pull my hair out of my head. The tangle teezer is great for me. I like to carry it around because its a must for me on a windy day thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hair sound like a dream to someone like me haha! If I ever skip a day without brushing my hair, it looks as if a bird decided to create a nest on my head lol!

      Delete
  2. I love this post! I currently have the Michael Mercier brush and just bought the Lady Jayne Tangleze to try it out. I actually think I prefer the Tangleze at the moment! So easy for travel, although the bristles are pretty sharp and hard haha.

    Bec | Bec & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great size, unfortunately it just didn't work well with my hair! But I'm so glad you're enjoying it more than I am haha x

      Delete
  3. The Tangle Teezer is my favourite comb for detangling messy hair! ^ ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had more luck with it than I did!

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.