Affordable Red Lipsticks

20 November 2014


Gwyneth Paltrow once said: "beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick". Gwyneth, you smart woman. Ladies (or gents), never underestimate a rocking red lip, I'm telling you, it can stop wars if anyone bothered to try. Now, unfortunately, I'm not someone who looks good with red lipstick, either that, or I haven't found the perfect shade for myself. Regardless, I'm here to help you with your dilemma by recommending red lipsticks that are most likely in your preferred price range.



Now, if you pop into your local Priceline, I'm sure you will be faced with an abundance of red lip options, so there definitely is no shortage when it comes to red lipsticks shades, but I thought I'd compile my own list of red lip products so you can add them to your wishlist and have an idea of four good options out of a hundred.


Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick - #01 // If you're looking for an opaque, true red colour (think Marilyn Monroe), then this is it. I've raved about Rimmel lipsticks before, and that's because I've truly fallen in love with them. This lipstick has a satin finish, and is quite glossy, but will matte down once you blot with a tissue or leave it on for the duration of the day. Not only does it look lovely on the lips, but it's moisturising, so it doesn't sink into fine lines and is very comfortable to wear. I would describe this red as a neutral red, as it isn't too orange based, but it isn't blue based either, so this would suit practically all skin tones, ranging from fair to dark. When it comes to cons, I will say that this isn't too long lasting, but it does leave behind a nice stain on your lips, so your pout won't look bare once it's worn off.
Price: $11.95


Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick - Are You Red-Dy // This is for all of you who prefer your red lipsticks to lean more towards the orange side. Haven't found your perfect summer shade yet? Well you may have just found it, because this lipstick is bright and poppin'. Pigmented? Check. Moisturising? Check. Affordable? Check. This lipstick is not only long lasting, but it has a very glossy finish, so it will help give the appearance of fuller lips. Also, similar to the Rimmel lipstick, once it wears off, it will leave behind a beautiful stain, as if you've been sucking a raspberry ice-block. One thing that you will need to be mindful of, is that this lipstick can be messy. As it's so glossy, it moves around, so it may end up on your face or your teeth, so while it's a great lipstick, just do regular checks throughout the day to see if it's on your lips and not anywhere else.
Price: $16.95


Essence Lip Liner - Femme Fatale // If you're on the hunt for something matte, and really inexpensive then Essence is the way to go. I love Essence, and I'm not the only one. They're affordable and have constantly proved that price does not equate to quality. While this is a lip liner, and works great for the purpose of lining your lips, I also like to use this as a lip colour by filling my entire lips in with this product. Since it gives a matte finish, it is quite drying, so I suggest applying a hydrating lip balm, blotting your lips, and then applying this lip pencil to prevent it from shriveling your lips up into a prune.
Price: $2


Me Me Me Lip Glaze - Rose Hip Red // I had to include an option for those of you who aren't quite ready to rock the red lipstick, but still love the idea of red lips. Now, everyone knows lip gloss is the next best thing, it's also a nice way to wear red lips on an everyday basis, such as work or school, without looking too over-the-top. Me Me Me makes some great products, and this lip gloss is no exception. While it does have a funky taste, it's not sticky at all, and makes your lips look 10 times larger. It comes with your standard doe-foot applicator, and I find that it's quite long lasting, despite being a lip gloss. You can also apply this over a matte lipstick or lip liner to make your pout really stand out (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it).
Price: $20.95

There you have it, my favourite affordable red lip products. While I have so many more, I decided to stick to the true red family and not wander into the wine shades, as I may leave that for another post! Do you have a favourite red lipstick? Let me know!


Leave a Comment

  1. Great picks! I'm the same! I don't think I look amazing in a red lip, I much prefer oranges or vampy shades for a bold lip! Perhaps I haven't found the one for me though, I haven't dabbled to much in the department. The Rimmel Kate lipsticks are amazing, though I haven't checked out that shade!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the hunt for the perfect blue based red lipstick, so I'm leaning more towards MAC Ruby Woo! I also love vampy shades, especially for the colder months, those shades usually end up suiting everyone also!

      Delete
  2. Really loving the Rimmel Kate lipstick on you! It seems like the most perfect red. I will have to try it. I love the texture and pigmentation of that line! Great post :)

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! They really are amazing considering the price point!

      Delete
  3. Ohh these reds look gorgeous on your lips~ ^ w ^
    It is lovely to see another Australian beauty blogger! ^ u ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paige! I'm glad you enjoyed! x

      Delete
  4. I have that Maybelline shade of lipstick! It's a really great lipstick in my opinion, it lasts for so long!
    The Caramel Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! It's great because even after it's worn off, it leaves behind a beautiful stain! :)

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.