Rimmel Provocalips Review/Swatches

23 November 2014


If you're an avid beauty fan, or someone who reads beauty blogs left, right and center, then chances are, you've already read or heard about these products. Rimmel is really upping their game when it comes to their products, and most of you would know that I'm a huge fan of their Lasting Finish Lipsticks, so I was curious to know how these would work. Before I received these, I heard mixed reviews, as some were saying they loved it, and some said they didn't like it all because of how hard they were to remove, so it's only fitting that I try it out myself and let you all know what I think.



The Rimmel Provocalips* is a dual lip product that comes in 8 shades, ranging from nudes to dark reds. One end of the product is the lip colour, and the other end is a clear top coat that helps lock in the colour to make it last all day. I'm going to say right off the bat that I love the packaging. The lip patterns are adorable, and while some people may think it looks tacky, I find that it looks very cute. Now, these aren't revolutionary products, as other brands such as Revlon have also created long lasting liquid lipsticks and brought them out a while ago, but it's nice to see Rimmel expanding their product range. As for the shade range, I find that the lightest nude in the shade is a little too bland and makes me appear washed out, and seems as if I coloured my lips in with concealer, and I can't see it looking too great on anyone, but the other shades are fantastic. My favourite out of the eight is definitely I'll Call You and Make Your Move, so if you are planning to only buy one or two out of the range, then check those out first!



On to the performance of the product. I decided to test these out by applying it after I ate breakfast, and see how well it lasted till it was time to go to bed. Now, the applicator is your standard doe-foot applicator, but since it's small, it really allows for precision, so thumbs up on that front! The way to use this product is to apply the lip colour first, then the top coat afterwards, it was then that I discovered a con. The lip colour takes at least 60 seconds to dry before you can apply the top coat, so if you're in a hurry, sorry, you'll just have to spare a minute. After I applied the product I went about as normal, eating and drinking whatever I fancied, and there came a time where I actually forgot these were on my lips because they felt very comfortable and not drying at all. I should warn you now though, that these are not matte, so if you're looking for something along the lines of Lime Crime Velvetines, these are not it, but if you want a long lasting lip colour then you'll really end up liking these. These lip lacquers are very opaque and true to colour, so basically, they're lipsticks in the form of lip glosses, which I personally am a fan of.

I will say that these babies do not budge, so once they are on, they are practically tattooed onto your lips, so I can see why that could be a problem for some people. I personally didn't mind too much, but I did find that the only thing that could remove this lip product off my lips is baby oil, nothing else. These are priced at $17.95 each, so they aren't cheap, but if you're after a really long lasting lip colour then this is probably the best I've tried. Do I love these? I won't say I LOVE them, but I'm definitely in the team that likes these. Not only are the shades great, but they don't disappear off your lips after you eat something. One thing to keep in mind, is that without the top coat, the lip lacquer itself is very sticky and uncomfortable on the lips, so you will have to apply the top coat in order to make it wearable.

But with everything, there are cons, and I will say that I can imagine the top coat not remaining clear for a long amount of time because the colour will most likely transfer. Another con is the price, as I can imagine some people being put off by the price tag, and while it's cheaper than Revlon, it's still a hefty price for Rimmel. One thing to keep in mind is to exfoliate your lips and make sure they are baby soft and smooth before applying this, as they do tend to cling to dry patches, and it isn't the prettiest sight, as they aren't something you can whack on and easily remove if you don't like how it looks. While these are long lasting lip products, they definitely did not last a whole 16 hours, as I found that the product disappeared from the inside of my lips at around the 6 hour mark. Regardless, that's still pretty amazing for bold lip colours.

Other than that, these are really nice products to have in your collection! They're nothing like the Rimmel Apocalips, as they don't move around as much as those do, and not to mention, the packaging is nice. While it isn't expensive looking, it reminds me of those pen stamps I had when I was younger (anyone remember those?).

Have a look down below for swatches!

I'll Call You
Kiss Me You Fool

Little Minx

Make Your Move

Play With Fire

Kiss Fatal

Dare To Pink

Skinny Dipping
Overall, while I'm not in love with this product, I do like them. They're great if you want a long lasting lip colour, and while they don't last 16 hours, they do stay on your lips for a good 6 hours or so, depending on how much you eat and drink throughout the day. Also, the shades are beautiful, besides one or two, as they're quite universal, and will suit almost everyone.

Have you tried the Rimmel Apocalips? What's your favourite shade in the range?

* PR Sample - opinions are honest and always my own, as stated in my disclosure policy.



Leave a Comment

  1. Great swatches - I love the cheeky names of the shades. Kiss fatal looks so pretty on you! I'm kinda unsure whether I want to try these out because $17.95 is a little on the dear side for Rimmel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! They are quite pricey for Rimmel, but maybe you can purchase them when they're on sale? I know Priceline always does buy one get one free or something along those lines when it comes to Rimmel :)

      Delete
  2. These sound VERY similar to the MNY superstay 24hr which I've been repurchasing for years. It's a similar 2step process. (L'Oreal infallibles is another similar 2step) I saw these & knew I'd have to get around to trying them. Matte looks rubbish on me, so I like the finish.
    They appear more sheer than the MNY, which show a distinct lip line. I like Little Minx, I'll Call You & Kiss Fatal. The Kiss Fatal looks way different on than in the tube!
    Thanks for reviewing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen so many other brands do these products but these are the first I've tried! And I agree with Kiss Fatal looking incredibly differenf, I thought it would be vampy but it defintely wasn't! Thank you for reading! x

      Delete
  3. These look really pretty! Will definitely be waiting for a sale to get them though haha. I love the look of Make Your Move - that one is definitely tempting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful shade! Definitely wait for a sale to make sure you love them before paying full price x

      Delete
  4. I actually hated these! I think they're so hard to remove and I don't really LOVE any of the colours. Glad you enjoyed them though :)

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO hard to remove! I had to scrub my lips before I realised they come off with baby oil haha x

      Delete
  5. Awesome post Basmah, and I love the swatches. I'll call you and Kiss Fatal are my favourites on you :)
    I've been reading your posts on the train but today I remembered to log on from my laptop and comment haha. Also, congratulations on reaching an amazing milestone on your blog a few weeks back, you definitely deserve it!

    Fatima x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fatima! I really appreciate the kind words! And they're both such lovely shades that I'm sure they would look good on everyone! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.