Sigma 3D HD Brushes

29 November 2014



Have you ever seen anything like it? I know I've never come across triangular shaped makeup brushes, so, not going to lie, I was curious. Sigma says the reason these brushes are shaped so oddly, is so they can reach into every crevice, every nook and cranny on your face when applying foundation or concealer. Now, this may sound harsh, but in my opinion, Sigma makes some gimmicky products (oven mitt anyone?), so I wanted to know if these really promised a flawless face or are they just overpriced brushes that look like miniature houses?



Appearance wise, these brushes are very easy on the eyes, and they feel as if they're great quality brushes. Also, they're heavy. Now, that can be a sign of expensive brushes (which these certainly are) or it could be annoying if you prefer light weight brushes. I purchased the pink brushes obviously, but they do have other colours available! Onto the review. My main focus was to see if these were worth the price, because as you all know, I love my Real Technique brushes that are half the price of what these cost me, I also wanted to find out if there was any truth to Sigma's claims and if I could really apply foundation in the weirdest of places. Oh and just to point out, these brushes were not gifted to me and were purchased with my own money.Thought I'd clear that up since Sigma does like to send out their brushes to bloggers and vloggers for reviewing purposes.




3D HD Kabuki Brush // This was the one I was most excited for because I love dense face brushes. They apply foundation flawlessly, and you get no annoying streak marks that tend to come up if you use a flat foundation brush. I've washed this brush before to see if I get any brush hairs falling out, but thankfully there was no problem on that front, but keep in mind that this brush stains for some odd reason. I had a spot of foundation on this brush, that no matter how many times I washed it, it just wouldn't come off. The way this brush is used is similar to how you would use a flat foundation brush, as you can't actually buff the foundation in by using round, circular motions. I did find that the shape of the brush allowed me to go right underneath my eyes and the crevices of my nose, and it also makes a great brush for contouring, as the tip of the brush allows you to go right underneath your cheekbones. This brush is made from synthetic hair, so it will absorb some product, but not as much as a sponge.

But while this brush does all of those things, is it worth the $30 price tag? No. I have a justification, I promise! The reason I think this brush is a waste of money is because you can buy the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, or even the Jessup brushes from Ebay and they will give you the exact same results for half the price. Or even if you have the Sigma F80, then don't bother purchasing this brush. While those brushes can't contour, they can do everything else that this brush has to offer. If you're a beginner who prefers to have an all-in-one brush, then go ahead and pick this up, because for that purpose it's great, but for those of you who have an array of brushes, this is one that will probably just gather dust. I'm not saying this is a bad brush, I'm just saying that it's not worth purchasing if you already have dense face brushes in your collection.




3D HD Precision Brush // This next brush was quite a nice surprise. I don't really enjoy using dense concealer brushes, as I find that it mostly wipes away the product, rather than helping it stay put. Thankfully, this brush isn't like that at all, and the shape really helps get right in the inner corners of your eyes. This brush also serves for the purpose of applying eyeshadow to your lower line, as the tip of it fits right underneath your lashes. I washed this brush along with the Kabuki brush, and I didn't find any fall out or stains, and gained its shape very well. Another pro was that it gave me an airbrush finish underneath the eyes, and it didn't make my concealer appear gritty or uneven at all. If I'm quite honest, I can't really think of any cons besides the price, as it does cost $25. Also, I like my brushes to be able to stand up and have a handle that has a flat base, but some may consider it a pro that it doesn't have a flat base, so that part is completely reliant on personal preference. Other than those factors, this brush works very well for its intended purpose.

The handle of this brush is very long, so it fits nicely into the hand, and it's comfortable to use, and this brush, just like it's older sister the Kabuki brush, is made from synthetic fibers, meaning it will tend to absorb some of the product but nothing too crazy. Since this brush is very dense, it isn't—in comparison to fluffy brushes, as soft. While most bloggers and vloggers have mentioned that these brushes do become softer after you wash them, I personally didn't feel any difference. Another use for this brush is contouring the nose and any other small places, as this really allows for precise application (no pun intended), so if you're someone who really likes to contour (I personally am terrible at contouring), then I believe you'll really like this brush.

Overall, I'm a fan of the Precision brush, but the Kabuki? Not so much. I just think that there are so many other options that work the same way for less than $30, so you're better off trying them instead. I purchased mine from Redefining Beauty, but you might be able to find other websites that stock them for a little less than the price I bought them for.

So tell me, have you tried Sigma brushes? Which ones are your favourite?


Leave a Comment

  1. Ohh I have not tried Sigma Brushes yet but I have only heard positive things! ^ v ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the first I've tried! x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the super honesty review! I can understand why you didn't fancy the kabuki and I probably wouldn't purchase it when I have some ebay brushes that rock. It is nice it can contour though :)

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Sarah! I've read so many positive reviews on the Kabuki, and while it's definitely not a bad brush, it isn't worth the hype in my opinion! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey I own a Sigma "oven mitt" (as you so eloquently put it) and...and....yeah ok it's gimmicky & you could get the same results using some kind of raised oven mitt for half the price, BUT in my defence I treated myself one for my birthday & at least my poor hands are now protected whilst cleaning my brushes. So there. :oP

    I've got 5 Sigma brushes:

    3 eye ones - E32, E45 & E54. The latter is my fave of the lot (it's just a medium sweeping brush, but I dig it), have barely used the E32 (exact blend) thus far & the E45 (small tapered blending brush) would be better if it didn't feel so scratchy. I have cleaned it & it still feels that way - didn't feel that way when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have got it. Maybe with time that will soften, who knows.
    L05, aka the lip brush (it's come in handy now that I'm using my double ended Nude by Nature eyeliner/lip brush for nail polish clean-up)
    F82 (the round kabuki). I probably should've saved my $ & not bought the F82 - I think I prefer fluffier brushes for my mineral foundation application. I'll still try & use it though, not going to let it go to waste, unlike the Inika kabuki brush I got when I first bought their foundation. Would you believe that brush is $55 ON IT'S OWN?!!! (Thankfully I got it as a GWP - no way in hell would I pay that much for a brush!)

    Bear in mind that I'm not a frequent makeup user, so make of that what you will. I still don't think I'll buy any more Sigma brushes, although I'm open to trying other brands. I wouldn't say they're overrated, just a bit too hyped, that's all. I feel the same way about Real Techniques too, purely based on the eye kit I own.

    (Sorry everyone for the mini essay!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seashell. I didn't mean to say the "oven mitt" isn't a good product, I just think it's very overpriced as I bought something similar from Kmart a while ago for half the price, but a birthday is definitely an occasion to treat yourself! I'm glad you enjoy Sigma brushes though and I can understand if someone would like to build their collection with good quality brushes! Of course this is just how I went on with the products, as so many people had a more positive experience :)

      Delete
    2. It's ok Basmah, my comment regarding the "oven mitt" was in jest, I didn't take your criticism too seriously. :o) Truth be told, I had to go away & have a good think about it first before I bought it and I can definitely understand why the price is a dealbreaker for most people (unless they're a bit spend-thrifty like me!).

      Delete
  4. Great reviews, hun! Very helpful, as I'd been intrigued by these new brushes from Sigma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad it helped you! These are the first I've tried actually so it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has never owned Sigma brushes haha x

      Delete
  5. These are so interestingly shaped! I can see how it would work for contouring too. I don't think I would splash out that much for a brush though!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very expensive in my opinion, but I guess if someone is interested in splurging on brushes then they may like Sigma more than I do haha! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.