The Best Sunscreens

18 November 2014


As I sit here and eat mangoes, I've come to the realisation that summer is finally upon us (even though we're still in Spring). So, it's only fitting to dedicate a whole entire blog post to SPF's, because let's get real, we should all be using them, and Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, so we need to stay protected. I used to be the type of person who never wore sunscreen because they always made me look greasy and gross, so if you're like old me, then keep reading because I have some recommendations that I'm sure you'll fall in love with. Oh, and by the way, anyone noticed something different about my blog? Yes, that's right, Lacee & Lattes has had a makeover! Make sure you let me know what you think of it!




I know I've mentioned this before, but I became a sunscreen convert after I watched the video above. The sun is not your skins friend, and direct exposure to UVA rays can cause fine lines, dark spots, sunburns, and not to mention melanoma. Now, not saying that you should become a hermit crab and not go outside at all, but just protect yourself by wearing a hat and sunscreen, sorry if I sound like your mum!



Cancer Council Face Day Wear Sunscreen // As the name suggests, this is a sunscreen made for the face, and if I could sum it up in two words, it would be HOLY GRAIL. Seriously. This sunscreen is amazing, incredible, ridiculously good, and so much more. I will not leave the house without this on my face, and as someone who never used to use sunscreen, that's saying a lot. So enough praising, because I'm sure you're all wondering why it's so great. If you're looking for a product that's non-greasy, doesn't leave a white cast, doesn't break you out, sits well underneath your makeup, moisturises the skin, and is basically an all rounder product, then pick this up. This actually sits so well underneath makeup, that I use this at night before I apply my foundation (true story). It contains 75 ml of product, and while the SPF isn't as high as 50+, it's still a pretty decent amount, considering it is SPF 30. The packaging is great because it's a flip-top lid and doesn't require any fiddling, but always make sure you apply sunscreen half an hour before leaving the house, as it needs to "activate". Price: $17.99 at Priceline $12.99 at Chemist Warehouse



Dermalogica MediBac Oil Free Matte SPF 30* // Here is a pricier option if you're in the mood to treat yourself, and believe me when I say, SPF is a great product to treat yourself with. This is for all of you who struggle with greasy skin, and when you add sunscreen, the results end up resembling a McDonald's fryer. This sunscreen is matte as the name suggests, and if you have tan skin or darker, you won't be left with a dreaded white cast over your face. I also think this works great underneath your makeup, as I my makeup stayed on for a long time while I had this on. Now, this is a small bottle, and it's quite expensive, so I'm not 100% sure how long this will last (remember, you should apply a teaspoons worth of sunscreen all over your face). But if you have the money, and you've lost hope with all those sunscreens that claim that they're matte, then check this one out. This comes with 50 ml worth of product, and has a nozzle that's great at dispensing just the right amount of product, so no wastage!
Price: $62



Le Tan SPF 30+ Coconut Lotion // This next one is not only deliciously scented, it's for those of you who need something to slather all over your body. One thing I hate is applying lotion or sunscreen on your skin and then waiting for it to dry, and not to mention, most of the time sunscreen smells like...well sunscreen. In other words, very chemical-y, which isn't exactly a scent anyone is fond of. As the name suggests, this SPF lotion smells like coconuts, and I can vouch, that this is the best smelling sunscreen I have ever came across. It absorbs quickly, is affordable, the packaging allows you to throw this into your beach bag, and it's moisturising, so basically it's a 2-in-1 product. Also, you can buy these in different sizes, so if you're someone who goes through suncreen like I go through Nutella (good for you!), then you'll be pleased to know that you have a range of sizes available.
Price: $11.99 for 125 ml

Now that you know how crucial sunscreen is and know which ones you should go out and grab, I have faith that all of you will be slip, slop, slap'in in no time! Of course there are other amazing sunscreens on the market, and with higher SPF's, such as 50+, so if you do know any other great ones, then make sure you let everyone know by leaving it in the comments below!

* PR Sample - opinions are honest and always my own, as stated in my disclosure policy.



Leave a Comment

  1. Great picks! People need to remember how important sunscreen is! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! Definitely, I've seen such a huge improvement in my skin after using it religiously! x

      Delete
  2. A great read Basmah! Great to know what sunscreen is good for the warmer months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post! Even if is a doting topic, it is so important! I'm almost 18 and reading about sun protection really has made me aware of sun damage. Not to mention, that video - such a strong message! I'll be sure to check out the Cancer Council Sunscreen :D
    ~Weng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed Weng! It really is so important to protect your skin from sun damage, especially in a country like Australia where the rays of the sun hit us directly due to the damaged ozone layer. I hope you like the sunscreen! x

      Delete
  4. I can't begin to tell everyone just how important sunscreen is, especially in our harsh climate! I've got a not-so-nice dark spot in the middle of my left cheek and a pigmentation mark around the right side of my jawline that have probably been caused by not wearing sunscreen enough during my early-mid 20's - like you Basmah, I was all like "ugh, sunscreen is greasy & gross". Worst thing is I have very fair skin and yet I STILL don't always pop the SPF on (I do if I'm going to be out in the sun for a long time though, along with staying in the shade etc). My feet are also showing signs of aging because I haven't always worn sunscreen on them either - the skin on top has a rough feel to it. Really wish I'd got onto Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunscreen a lot earlier, might've solved my "greasy & gross" sunscreen problem....

    Take it from me younger ones, PUT SUNSCREEN ON. ALWAYS. IT'S NON-NEGOTIABLE! Don't get into your late 20's and early 30's and regret not doing so like I have. Whilst I haven't aged terribly due to the sun (still passing for a 20-something at 30 thank yup!), I certainly don't want to as I continue getting older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you emphasised the importance of sunscreen! It really is extremely important, and shouldn't be something taken lightly, especially as the sun can cause so much damage to the skin in the long term. I'll make sure to check out Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, and I hope I love it as much you do! x

      Delete
  5. Great picks! I totally agree that the Cancer Council face day wear sunscreen is holy grail!! Love it :)
    Darcie - stylebydarcie.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you love it also! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.