10 Piece Jessup Brushes - Sigma Dupe?

15 December 2014



Sigma. You either love em' or you hate em', I'm not really sure what to think of them. I won't say I hate them, I'm just not a fan of the whole "let's give these to every beauty guru on the planet so they can rave about them". Don't get me wrong, they're not bad brushes, they're just overexposed. Anyway, Thanks to the lovely Nalini at The Made Up Maiden (you should check her out, her blog is a great read!), I discovered Jessup Brushes as she posted a photo of them. As soon as I laid eyes on them I knew I had to check them out and review them, so now that I've had them for a while, I thought I'd let you know what I think of them.



The reason I mentioned Sigma earlier is because when I was researching these brushes before I purchased, so many people were saying how it's a dupe for Sigma. Not going to lie, I was SO EXCITED because Sigma brushes are what, $150 for a set of 10? And these were around $17 on Ebay, so hello bargain! These come with 5 face brushes, and 5 eye brushes, so not too shabby. Actually, that's a really great price for what you pay for. As time went on, I kept hearing rave reviews about how great these brushes are, and they're as soft as a fluffy bunny rabbit, so my excitement grew to new heights, and then one day, I opened the mail box and there they were. My brand new Jessup brushes. Pretty great love story huh?

My first impression of these brushes were how beautiful they looked. They come in different colours but I chose the classic black and gold combination as I thought it looked timeless and sophisticated. The handles are well made, but the ferrules do seem a little weak and almost as if it won't last very long. I don't know about you, but the first thing I do when I buy brushes is feel the bristles, because if they feel like a rake against my face then chances are, I'm not impressed. Thankfully these felt amazing. I kept rubbing it all over my skin because they felt that soft. The brushes have bristles made from synthetic hair and are relatively easy to clean.

As mentioned previously, the set comes with 5 face brushes which are all dense, so no flat brushes here. two are angled and resemble the Sigma F80, one is flat and resembles the Real Techniques Buffing Brush, another is slightly domed shaped so would be great for cream contouring, and the other is similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. The face brushes are really good for the price, and the reason I mention the price is because they aren't the best, but for around $17 they're pretty good. If you're someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on expensive makeup brushes (I'm looking at you Hakuhodo) then you'll enjoy these. While they're soft, I find that they aren't as dense and firm as I would like them to be, but they still give your foundation a nice finish. The great thing is, is that you're able to test run 5 different makeup brushes for a really great price, The face brushes are the perfect size, as they aren't too small or too big for your face, and they're very quick to work with. I did experience some shedding with these brushes but nothing too crazy, but then dense brushes don't shed very often so I'm not sure how well these would last.


Next comes the eye brushes, which frankly, when I opened the packaging I thought "woah, these eye brushes are huge!" Basically, if you don't have much eyelid space, or maybe you have hooded eyes, you're going to have difficulty with these eye brushes. Heck, I have quite large eyelids but I had difficulty as well. Just like the face brushes, these are very soft and nice to touch. They feel great against the eyes and they aren't scratchy at all which is a huge plus. There are 5 eye brushes, a fluffy blending brush, a pencil brush, two angled brushes, and a flat top brush. My favourite of all of them would have to be the blending brush and the pencil brush. I don't really understand why they gave a flat top eyeshadow brush as I'm not sure what the use of it is, but if anyone knows then please let me know in the comments! The fluffy brush blends eyeshadow nicely and seamlessly, and the pencil brush is perfect for not only lining the lower lash line, but also contouring the nose. The angled brushes work well for applying eyeshadow on the outer corner of your eyes, but as mentioned before, I don't understand the flat top brush. I do wish that they made these brushes smaller though, as they are large in size and if you don't have deep set eyes, you're going to have trouble using them. 

If you don't want to use them as eyeshadow brushes, they also work great for the purpose of blending your concealer underneath your eyes and on any blemishes you have. Again, I haven't experienced a crazy amount of shedding with the eye brushes.

So here comes the million dollar question? Are they dupes for Sigma? I would have to say, no, they're not. While they are very nice brushes for the price, I find that Sigma brushes are better in quality and in general, are made very well. The face brushes are much more dense and have more bristles, and the eye brushes work for all eye shapes instead of one. Overall, I do recommend these brushes because they are very affordable, and they're great if you're starting out in the makeup world, and hey, you get 10 brushes for $16.80 (with P&H) so you can't really complain. 

Will you try Jessup brushes? If you have, what do you think of them?


Leave a Comment

  1. Hey, loved your review.
    I ordered my own set of 12 pieces jessup brushes (quite similar to yours), and i thought the face brushes were great.
    However the eye brushes were incredibly painful to use ! I'm talking about the pencil brush, slanted eyebrow/eyeliner brush, and the thin liner brush. For these three brushes, they had a weird, super hard and super sharp bunch of bristles nestled right in the middle of the brush head and when i use it on my eyes, it literally scratches the skin. And when i slightly press the brush head on my finger, i can actually feel the sharpness and it really hurts! I would describe the feeling as a tootchpick hidden within the brush ha.
    It's such a pity , since the face brushes were pretty good , and i really wanted that set because of that pencil brush .
    Mine are the non-kabuki brushes, so perhaps they're not as soft.

    Does your brushes have this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jing Hui, please make sure you bought from the authorized sellers. Jessup brushes are only distributed to 5 authorized sellers, 3 are from Ebay and 2 are from Aliexpress.com, please check out it at jessupbeauty.com! Good luck

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.