Why I'm Not a Fan of Sephora AU

19 December 2014


This post is a little different as you can tell from the title. No beauty review, no "Top 5 Mascaras" (though I do have something of the sort coming very soon!). You see, today I'm angry. Actually, I've been angry ever since the launch of Sephora Australia, which has been the very reason that as a Sydney-sider and a beauty lover, I still haven't visited the beauty mecca. Now, before I start this rant, I'm not saying that I won't ever go to Sephora, or that you shouldn't go to Sephora, because let's get real, this is just my opinion on the matter, and I most likely will go and check out their range sooner or later.



Back in June, everyone in the beauty hemisphere was giddy with excitement, because Sephora Australia announced that they would liken their prices to match the prices in the USA. Too good to be true? Unfortunately it was. I was jumping up and down with joy, and while I knew there would be a slight price increase due to shipping, tax, Australian currency, what I wasn't expecting was a 60% mark up. What I wasn't expecting, was for Sephora Australia to blatantly lie to Australian consumers, tell them that they would be bringing us affordable prices, and then take that away from us with no explanation or apology. Excuse me Sephora? But do you think that we're so vulnerable that we'll put up with false promises? Not only have they lied about prices, but they've also brought down small businesses. I came across a post on Facebook by Glossy Confidential saying how the brand It Cosmetics, which has been stocked at PM Studio for 6 years, has been taken out of their stores because Sephora wanted all the brands that they're stocking to be "exclusive". Not only that, but Sephora is now selling It Cosmetics for $15 more than PM Studio originally was.

So Dear Sephora,

If you're reading this, then I would like to let you know that I will not be supporting Sephora Australia, and I will be taking my money elsewhere. Such as small Australian business owners, who aren't ripping their customers off, or even Mecca Cosmetica, who, while overpriced, haven't made any false claims and promises. Australian customers are not stupid, and to be honest, I wouldn't even be this angry if you didn't make the claim in the first place. While me not giving my money to your business is probably worth nothing to you in the long run (because let's face it, you guys are filthy rich), maybe this blog post will give you a sense of ethical responsibility.

If you need to pay rent for your flag ship store, I understand. If you need to raise the prices due to taxes and import charges, I understand. But what many people, including myself don't like is getting lied to, and then given no explanation in return. I mean, Becca is an Australian brand and it's more expensive to purchase here than in America! So sort yourself out Sephora.

Kind Regards,
An Angry Australian Consumer

I probably will go in store to test out products, and check out shades. I'm also interested in their own Sephora range, but to be honest, I rather support small business owners. As I mentioned before, I am not saying you shouldn't go to Sephora, just that this is the reason why I won't be visiting Sephora any time soon.

I would love to know what you think of the matter, I know it's a bit controversial and like nothing I've done before, but it needed to be said. We can't let big business owners trample over us this way.

Also, check out this video by the amazing Kat at Kitsch Snitch, she explains everything to a T.



Leave a Comment

  1. Completely agree! It's not like I can buy anything from them anyway since they bloody well don't have an online store. I reckon the only thing they're good for is swatching and testing products!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The only reason I would be visiting the store would be to test shades and then order the actual product online. So disappointed in Sephora!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't had the time to go into Sephora, but it sounds like it's been a blessing in disguise! I'd actually forgotten about Sephora's promise after hearing about the inflated prices from my friends. To be completely honest, the only high end brand I support and feel comfortably purchasing in Australia is Illamasqua because their Australian prices are actually lower than American/overseas prices.

    Mel // izzipenelope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a huge fan of Illamasqua because they're the ones who dropped their prices first, so I'm willing to pay more for their products! Sephora on the other hand are a company I just don't feel like supporting atm! x

      Delete
  3. I went in there last weekend for a sticky beak & tbh, I walked out feeling rather underwhelmed (and empty-handed). I'd rather wait for another trip to the US to do a Sephora haul than buy anything from their Sydney store or better still, support home-grown businesses instead. Aside from the mark-up on prices, I found the brand range pretty limited compared to what I found when I was in the US. I understand they can't stock everything that the US stores sell due to exclusivity agreements here etc, but I do feel like we have been dudded in that aspect. Then again, there's only a small handful of brands that I like from that store anyway, but still...plus I found their price labelling in store was on the shabby side as well.

    They've certainly pissed off a lot of would-be customers with the inflated prices etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sydney store closed down sooner rather than later thanks to all the bad publicity they've been receiving. Sephora are going to have to do some SERIOUS damage control to win people back on side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with everything you said! I haven't been yet, but I've heard that their range of brands are quite disappointing. Sephora did release a statement about their prices on their Facebook page, but to be honest, I wouldn't even count it as an apology. It seems as if they're playing games with their customers, and like you said, I won't be surprised if it closes down soon!

      Delete
  4. It's such a joke, and unfortunately I'm not surprised because every new store that finally hits our shores, does the same thing. :(
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Unfortunately, brands think that they have the right to rip Australian customers off :(

      Delete
  5. Yes, I also have decided to not enter the store, at all. Boycotting it to put it bluntly... I'd rather take my money elsewhere.
    Great post btw, I also really enjoyed that video by Kat! I applaud her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you share the same views as myself. Kat is wonderful, she always says just the right things!

      Delete
  6. I could not agree more!! I haven't even been bothered to go into Sephora Sydney ugh

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.