A Great $3 Eye Primer & A Crap $60 Mascara

25 January 2015


I'm a firm believer of price does not equal to quality, and since I love to bring you all affordable products that work wonderfully, I've decided to tell you all about a product that is definitely NOT worth your $60. But since I like to be positive and optimistic, I'm also going to talk about an eye primer that's cheap as chip and works just as well as a high end eye primer.



Let's save the best till last shall we? So I'll go straight to talking about the Freezeframe Instant Lash Brush On Lash Extensions. If you're part of this crazy blogosphere we have going on, then you may have heard of fiber lash extensions (or maybe some Younique representative hassled you about it), in case you have no idea what I'm talking about then let me explain. Fiber mascaras have little specks of...well, fiber stuck to the mascara wand, which brushes on to your lashes and is supposed to make them thicker, longer and the whole shabang. For $60, you would think this mascara would work, and don't get me wrong, I do have fibers on my lashes once I use this, but it looks more like specks of dust rather than lash extensions. Not only that, but they fall out like crazy and throughout the day, if one of these don't blind me by falling into my eye, then I thank the heavens that I can see for another day. The way I apply this is by curling my eyelashes, applying the fibers, then following up with a coat of my regular mascara. Do I see a difference worth $60? No. Would I like this if it was priced at $15? Probably. This isn't the worst product around, I mean, it doesn't give me tarantula eyelashes, but $60? Really!? In my opinion, save your hard earned cash and spend it on something else. Priceline and other affordable stores have great mascaras that are affordable, which means you don't have to sell your kidney in the black market.

L-R: Eye Primer, shadow without primer, shadow with primer

Now let's talk about the good stuff. I was one of those people who never used to apply eye primer, as I never thought I needed it. But one day I started noticing how my eyeshadow was creasing on me, and how it wasn't as vibrant as I hoped it be, so I bought a little jar of Artdeco eye primer from Beauty Bay. I loved that stuff, it made my eyeshadow last all day, and not to mention, it was cheap. Unfortunately, Beauty Bay doesn't allow Art Deco products to be shipped to Australia anymore, so I had to search for a local option, and in came the Elf Eyeshadow Primer in Sheer. I bought this from Kmart for $3, and it is the next best thing after the Art Deco eyeshadow primer. Even though the name is "sheer", I find that on my tan skin, I do get a white cast on my eyelids, which I actually prefer because it cancels out the darkness that I've been genetically blessed with. The application isn't anything too fancy, as it's a doe foot applicator, and the primer is a pearl finish. This primer will make even the chalkiest of eyeshadows look as if they have the best pigmentation, and not mention, it will help keep your eyeshadow looking amazing all throughout the day. One con I will have to say is, that this eye primer can apply a little patchy, but hey, for $3, I'm not really complaining.

So there you have two extremes to eye products. One that is terrible and costs an arm and a leg, and the other is a fantastic eye primer that you can buy from the spare change at the bottom of your purse. What is a product that you think is not worth the price?

Leave a Comment

  1. Great post. Price isn't always an indicator of quality. A lot of the time we pay for lovely packaging. The only time I think it's good to splurge is on make up brushes and skincare. But if you wait long enough, a lot of new skincare ingredients and formulas filter down to the drugstore, since so many brands are owned by big companies with lots of brands under their control. I think it's hard to find quality brushes that aren't pricey. I've noticed with my brushes, the more expensive ones have lasted a LOT longer than my cheaper ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! I usually splurge on brands that I trust, and I know would give me makeup that's worth the price tag, but if it's a brand I've never tried before then I am a little skeptical :)

      Delete
  2. That fibre lash mascara looks scary - no way in hell would I pay $60 for a mascara (even though my tastes are somewhat expensive these days), especially one that looks like that! Most I've paid for one was about $40 and I didn't think it was worth the hype at all (Mirenesse Secret Weapon mascara, in case anyone wanted to know) & its "tear proof" claim was utter lies.

    I looked at that Elf primer once, nearly considered buying it. Might still consider buying it as I don't use primer either & have noticed eye shadow creasing on me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it! They look like tiny hairs, and when they fall into the eye it's so painful! I've tried some Mirenesse products and while I enjoyed them, their constant email spamming put me off their products, so annoying. Good luck with the primer, hope it works out for you! x

      Delete
  3. Some products are definitely not price matched for their quality! ^ w ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.