The Secret to Long Lashes

23 February 2015


Okay, so this title may be a little misleading, because is it a secret? Probably not, but what I can tell you is that it works. If you have no idea what I'm rambling on about, it's castor oil. Not just any castor oil, The Palma Christi Castor Oil, which is pure and cold pressed. To be honest, I've tried using castor oil on my eyelashes before but I didn't find it life changing, and that's because I was using castor oil with a hundred other ingredients added into the mix. For the past week I've been applying pure castor oil to my eyelashes and the difference is astounding!





While I have thick hair and thick eyebrows, my eyelashes are seriously lacking in the luscious department, so anything that promises to make them grow, I'm all over. While products such as Latisse give amazing results, I decided to try the more affordable option and order castor oil from iHerb, and I definitely don't regret it. The Palma Christi Castor Oil comes in a standard bottle with a push top lid, so you can easily dispense the product and apply it to either your eyebrows or your lashes. I personally like to use a mascara wand, as I find it easier and less messier than rubbing it all over my eyelids. The mascara bottles shown in the photos are from Ebay and they were approximately $4 for 2.

Another reason I prefer using a mascara wand as opposed to my fingers is that I found eyelashes started growing above my lash line when I didn't use this method (sounds crazy, I know). The mascara wand makes sure that the castor oil is applied exactly where you want it. I always apply it half and hour before I go to bed so it absorbs and doesn't rub all over my pillow, and I also make sure to get the oil right from the root of my lashes, all the way till the ends. While I don't apply castor oil to my eyebrows, if you want Lily Colins-esque brows, then apply a good amount to the bald spots and you should start seeing a difference. Now, keep in mind that just because I noticed a difference in a week, doesn't mean you will get the same results, as everyone is different. Many people have said it took them at least a month to start noticing visible results, but hey, you need to start somewhere right!?

Castor oil is also great if you need something to nourish your lashes, which I definitely need since I'm a mascara addict and my lashes are the ones that pay the price. Basically, you have the choice of either spending over $100 on Latisse, or less than $4 on castor oil (make sure it's pure castor oil!), and rest easy, as this $3.96 bottle will last forever! I currently own the 120 mL bottle, but they have many sizes to choose from if you need a larger option.

So there is the not-so-secret to long lashes. Let me know if you try it and how it works out for you, because so far, I'm loving it! If you're still a tiny bit skeptical, then Google "castor oil for eyelashes" and you'll find a crazy amount of success stories which will definitely turn you into a castor oil convert.

What is your "secret" beauty tip? Share it below, because hello!? Everyone needs a little secret tip every now and then!


Leave a Comment

  1. Damn! I just bought a $20 tube of lash serum from Priceline & I thought I'd done pretty well. I'll keep this in mind when that tube runs out & I'll compare the two options. I'm a real tight-arse, so I hope the castor oil works as well or better than the lash serum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also love to know how the lash serum works out, and how you find the castor oil! Hopefully you will have luscious lashes in no time haha :) x

      Delete
  2. Ohh I had not heard about using Castor Oil on Eye Lashes before~ ^ w ^
    I may have to give this a go! ^ u ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! And let me know how it worked out for you!

      Delete
  3. I've heard great success stories about castor oil as well and I'm glad you had a positive experience too! My beauty tip is instead of making your own lip scrub which could take some time, use a cotton swab and your favourite lip balm and rub it against your lips! Your lips will be smoother trust me! Make sure to rub the cotton swab all over your top and bottom lip thoroughly for a good exfoliation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds amazing! I have extremely dry lips, so anything that will help soothe them, I'm all for! I'm definitely going to try this tip out, thanks for that! x

      Delete
  4. I've heard great things about castor oil but I'm quite skeptical! It's great to hear that it works for you though, definitely something I need to try out because my lashes need all the help they can get!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! You don't have much to lose, and hopefully you'll have great results also!

      Delete
  5. Great tip. I'm pretty lucky in the eyelash department, as mine are super crazy long. xx

    Sweetaholic Beauty

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.