An Affordable Spot Treatment - Does it Work?

3 April 2015


When it comes to spot treatments, I tend to be on the "never-really-used-them" team. You see, I'm one of those people that when I get a sudden pimple, I usually just let life deal with it, or I go the worst way possible and end up popping it (accidentally!). When I was sent the Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Pimple Cream*, not going to lie, I was hesitant. Not because I refuse to try a spot treatment, but because Clearasil and my skin have never been the best of friends. In the past, their face washes have dried out my skin, made me break out and just was a nightmare to use, but I put my big girl pants on and gave this a whirl.




The latest skin care product from Clearasil is a spot treatment, and like any other, comes in a small tube that is easy and simple to use. The nozzle is great because it dispenses just the right amount of product, and while the tube looks tiny, you only use a small amount. Clearasil claims that this reduces the size of the pimple in 4 hours, so I decided to test that claim when I happened to come across a absolute gigantic pimple residing on my chin. I mean, what better time to use this product right? Oh, and I've also been using this for about 2 weeks, so I can really let you know how this product performs. The first thing I paid attention to was the texture. This treatment isn't too runny but not too thick either, so you can easily apply this to wherever you need to without the risk of it rubbing onto your pillow and your clothes. I also found that I needed to use half of a pea size amount to cover wherever I needed to.


Since the tube is hygienic, I didn't need to use a cotton-tip, but I do advise that your hands are completely clean as you don't want to spread bacteria on your face, which results in more pimples. After application, I came back after 4 hours and checked my results, and that was nada. Basically, nothing changed, the pimple was still the same size and the redness was still as present as ever, but I decided to wait it out a little longer. After about 10 hours, I checked again and the redness did reduce, but the pimple size didn't change at all. I still stuck it out, as I kept trying this out on different problem areas for the past two weeks, and I can safely say, while it reduces redness, it does not change the size of my breakout at all.



I also found that it dried out the area I applied this significantly, so if you have dry skin already steer clear, and I would not recommend anyone to use this all over the face. Was I disappointed? Not really, since I didn't have high hopes for Clearasil anyway, but maybe if Clearasil works for you then you might enjoy this product more than I did. Overall, I found that this didn't do anything for my skin or for my breakouts and that the whole "4 hour" claim wasn't lived up to in the slightest. I would say the number one cure for your run-of-the-mill pimple is deep cleansing and leaving them alone, but if spot treatments are for you then this is an affordable option!

The Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Pimple Cream is priced at $13.99 and comes with 15 grams of product. So a pro could be that it's affordable, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros, and paying $14 for a product that doesn't do much isn't worth it.

What is your favourite spot treatment?

* PR Sample - opinions are honest and always my own, as stated in my disclosure policy.



Leave a Comment

  1. I'm not a spot treatment girl either, just let it happen! And this is probably why, spot treatments just make my skin dry and itchy!

    www.emilyroseperrin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I find that it tends to mess with my sensitive skin so I just stay away from them haha

      Delete
  2. I have given these sort of things a go before, and I don't mind them, but at the time time I don't think there's a miracle cure for pimples realistically. You just have to wait them out.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Pimples just work better when you don't touch them at all imo!

      Delete
  3. Ergh, spot treatments are so fickle aren't they!? I've tried a few in my day, and have never really found one that has blown me away to be a miracle product. The one I find works best for me for cystic acne is the Mario Badescu buffering lotion. It's not a lifesaver, but it does help!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari Bedescu drying lotion is fantastic as well! Unfortunately this one didn't do much for me so if I do have to choose it would definitely be MB!

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.