Lancome Grandiose Mascara

17 June 2015


Guess whose holidays have started? *raises hand* which means more blog posts! Today I'll be talking about my favourite mascara of the moment, the Lancome Grandiose. I always use to be that person in the room who didn't understand the reason for buying expensive mascaras, I mean, they all work the same right? I was proven wrong when I tried the Lancome Grandiose, because if there is one thing every makeup look needs, is long lashes. Lancome is known for their mascaras, whether you've tried the Hypnose, or the Doll Eyes, there is something for everyone. Not to mention, my makeup inspiration Lisa Eldridge is now the creative director for Lancome, so even more reason to buy everything they bring out.



If you're a beauty aficionado, you've probably already came accross the Lancome Grandiose mascara one way or another. Y'know, the mascara with the 'swan neck' wand? Yep, that's the one. Now, when I first attempted to use this mascara it went terribly wrong. So wrong in fact, that I walked around with clumpy eyelashes and a few curse words on my tongue to whoever created this product. Since I don't want you all to go through the same ordeal that I did (I was heading to uni at the time and I looked like I stuck spider legs on my eyes), I highly recommend reading the instructions that comes with the mascara, because unlike other mascaras you cannot actually just whack this on and go out the door. Is it easy to use? No, is it a high maintenance mascara? Yes. But the real question is, is it worth the struggle, and I say hell to the YES. 

You see, after I bothered to follow the instructions my lashes were taken to new heights, and also they were not as clumpy as they were in the first application. Since the wand is oddly shaped, it means you can get every single lash, but it also means that you have to use the wand at the right angle to ensure even application. While it is flimsy and annoying at first, it doesn't take long to get used to, and while I thought it was a gimmick at first, it definitely is not. The wand is so successful in fact, that Lancome has put 5 patents on it to avoid having replicas in the market. 

Let's get to the product itself. What I love about this mascara is that it isn't waterproof, but it does everything a waterproof mascara is able to do. Which means that this mascara will hold your curl, prevent flaking or smudging but will ensure that you're not rubbing at your eyes at the end of the day just to try and get it off. Oh, just a forewarning, if you have watery eyes though then be careful, because as I said, while this looks and feels waterproof, don't be fooled as I had a watery eye day once and this baby smudged like crazy. 

The effect this mascara gives is fanned out eyelashes, so if you're someone with quite round eyes and you're looking for a mascara to help your eyes appear more almond, then this one is great. Since the wand is plastic (which I'm usually not a fan of), it helps separate each and every eyelash and spreads them out to give the appearance of a more elongated eye. Many people I've spoken to have compared the Grandiose to the Benefit They're Real, but I since I haven't tried the latter, I can't confirm if that's an accurate comparison. Also, if you're someone who has fair lashes, then you will be pleased to know that this mascara is very black and unlike so many others, doesn't give a grey/green tinge after a couple of hours.

I would like to apologise in advance, because I woke up today and realised one of my eyes was infected with a stye (hence why I have no makeup on besides the mascara), so in the below comparison photos try not look to hard at my left eye. But regardless, the photos don't do the mascara justice, and I highly recommend trying it out for yourself. While I was put off at the beginning, you have to wait until this mascara dries out a tad because when you freshly open a tube the formula is very wet, so your lashes are prone to clumping. Another con I would say is that this is not buildable at all. If you're someone who likes to layer your mascaras then look for something else as this will look like tarantula legs if you decide to go for more than one coat.

Other than that, this is my favourite mascara of the moment. At $55, this mascara does everything you would expect it to do, and it helped me understand the hype behind Lancome mascaras. 

Have you tried Lancome mascaras? Which one has been your favourite?


Leave a Comment

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.